Sign in to follow this  

I know, I know lets not get carried away. But I couldn''t let yesterday''s triumph go past without mentioning the lad Shackell. Taking into account the occasion, the pressure and that he was defending in front of the Ipswich fans in the new stand, he did outstandingly. He looked solid throughout. Passing, tackling, heading and clearing I thought were all excellent. I know he gave away the penalty, and yes that I admit was a mistake. But on the whole he looked a very solid player. I know we can''t get too carried away because we have seen him agianst Cardiff and yesterday, but what I have seen of him I like. A lot. We have a magnificent defence don''t get me wrong- Drury, Malky, Flem and Steady Eddie have been superb all season. My only request is this: Put Shackell on the bench. From what I''ve seen it won''t do any harm. We have a talent here, mark my words. I''m not trying to put pressure on the guy but I don''t want to see a good defender go to a lower league club just because we get promoted and he hasn''t got enough experience.

i agree with u there. shackell was class on sunday, and i didnt see a lot wrong for the penalty anyway. flem and malky have been great this season, but they arnt the youngest players around and will need replacing at some point. from sundays performance it looks like shackell could be that man

DumbleDelia you must stop going on about Shackell (only joking). As you know I have been pushing for this young lad from the beginning of the season. People have asked what can he give to the team and you have summed it up in your comments. I don''t know whether he plays like that during training but I would suggest he has been one of the reasons Malky''s performances have improved recently. Now that he appears to feature in Worthy''s plans I hope he is on the bench for all future games.

Whilst we are on about young players it was great to see Henderson back and once again he didn''t let the team down. Worthy has definitely got it right by playing him for about an hour and then giving him a rest. He showed very early on that he is not afraid to get stuck in and his cross for the first goal was spot on. He deservedly got a standing ovation when he left the field but I am sure that there are still some people out there knocking him ( I have one who sits behind me unfortunately).

Finally, let us not forget that young Jarvis is fit again and raring to get back into the first team.

Think that the goal we conceded against Cardiff last time might have been down to him losing Thorne, but he certainly looks v.impressive and nobody need feel concerned if he has to come in because of injury situation.
Is anybody else reminded of Butterworth when they watch him? He seems to have the same poise, uses the ball well and appears to have that little bit of extra time that is a sure mark of quality.

Reminds me a bit of John O''Shea at United when he first broke into the United squad, as well as being quite a bit like Butterworth.

I''m not convinced by O''Shea yet - he doesn''t seem to know what his best position is, and is currently struggling to achieve the form he showed last year. Let''s hope Shackell doesn''t end up like this - from what little we''ve seen of him in the first team, he looks much better suited as a centre back rather than a left back

Temp, I agree, O''Shea has been quite poor this year but its his composure of last season which Shackell reminds me of... I''m quite a fan of Shackell as a centreback and hope that he gets the opportunity to develop, however, I think Malky and Fleming will be first choice centrebacks next year, when we''re in the Prem...

Shackell has done really well, he does look a bit like Butterworth, only a bit faster! However, despite pressure to drop Malky, Worthy has stuck by him, and no one can say he was wrong, he has shown fantastic attitude, is a member of the defence that has conceded the least goals in the division AND scored several vital goals.

i think this is why we need to get promoted as soon as possible,in order to allow all our younger players to get a game or two beofre they are way out of their depth next season. we need to see more of jarvis,shackell,briggs,some of the younger players,and dare i say it, mckenzie