Sign in to follow this  
canarychris

A Show of Ambition??

As much as i applaud Mr. Grant for not bowing to the demands of players and their agents over wage demands, signing on fees etc. i do find it concerning that Cardiff are willing to pay the monies required for an International midfielder who was Vice Captain at Rangers last season.

Fair enough if Mr Grant didn''t think Rae was worth what he wanted but if we did really want him it is concerning that Cardiff are able to out bid us bearing in mind we have reduced our wage bill considerably recently with the release of McVeigh, Thorne, Louis-Jean and Henderson.

So are we not able to compete financially with Championship sides of an equal or lesser status than ourselves or do we have so many more options that we don''t need to spend silly money.....oh how i hope it is the latter.

If Cardiff are willing to pay silly money for a player who has played just 24 times in about 3 years, then that is their problem and not ours. With regards to the last part of your post canarychris, I feel that we can indeed compete financially and that we do have more options open to us. You only have to see how Grant, Duffy and Gunny are casting the net in terms of potential transfers for evidence of that.

i do hope you are right Bigmarkcanary and we have a number of options who will prove to be better value, however i do feel centre midfield with Saf of to the African Nations is an area we need to strengthen and i don''t mean another Fotheringham......pay peanuts and get monkeys!!!

We can compete financially with anyone in this division if we want to.  The question is do we want to.  Throwing money at something doesn''t guarantee success.  It will pain people to read it but we really have to show prudence.

Prudence has given us relegation, obscurity and obscurity in the last 3 seasons. The last time the boat was pushed out was when we signed Huckerby and Crouch and look what that led to.

Hucks is still a major force in this division but only for 1 or maybe 2 more seasons hence the need to invest in the squad now!!!! Without Hucks i can see it being a long time b4 we will have a realistic chance of returning to the promised land.

Ambition now, prudence later please.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

We can compete financially with anyone in this division if we want to.  The question is do we want to.  Throwing money at something doesn''t guarantee success.  It will pain people to read it but we really have to show prudence.

[/quote]

Stunning how so many on here are worrying themselves silly about off the pitch financial matters rather than getting a decent side together on the park. It''s a sign of perfect PR "spin targeting" whereby even the supporters themselves are making excuses for the club''s stingyness. They''ve got you where they want you.

Worry rather less about the inept business side...as Smith and Co. took this club on fully knowing the score....and try to concentrate on what you''re supposed to be supporting....a football team!  Suddenly we have a mass gathering of psuedo accountants on here watching numbers rather than demanding results and success.

It will end in tears if you don''t snap out of it...and if we plummet down the leagues like I suspect, will you be rueing the financial implications of it all?... or whining about playing Bournemouth and Yeovil each week?

Wake up guys...the clouds are gathering.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

........And oh-so-prudently slip into the division below. I have to hand it to Munby, Doncaster et al- they really have done their brainwashing job well.

[quote user="canarychris"]

Prudence has given us relegation, obscurity and obscurity in the last 3 seasons. The last time the boat was pushed out was when we signed Huckerby and Crouch and look what that led to.

Hucks is still a major force in this division but only for 1 or maybe 2 more seasons hence the need to invest in the squad now!!!! Without Hucks i can see it being a long time b4 we will have a realistic chance of returning to the promised land.

Ambition now, prudence later please.

[/quote]

Couldn''t disagree more.  We need to show prudence now and always.

I totally agree that that the last 2 seasons have been appalling.  Players have been allowed to leave and not be replaced etc. etc. I am not denying this.  However look at Leeds United, look at Bradford City, Sheffield Wednesday, Wolves plus others.  Have all shown ambition on a conisistent basis, all have nothing to show for it.

Prudent isn''t the best word so lets use sensible.  We need to be sensible, calculated gambles at the right time, getting the right players for the right price and with the right financial package.  The best deal for Norwich City must always come first.  Our future could be good, we just need to look at the long game. 

Sorry Jimmy 500 but i cannot agree. The time to be sensible is when it is not realistic to get back into the Premiership. As i have already stated the Huckerby factor will not be with us 4 much longer and with the constant increase of earnings for clubs coming out of the Premiership from parachute payments it will get harder and harder to get out of this division.

If we buy the likes of Sharp, Eastwood and Marshall they would be investments, players who''s values we would all hope and expect to increase weather we are promoted or not, meaning the only long term cost to the club is their salaries and bearing in mind we released 5 players at the end of last season this should not be a problem.

Where the signings of Crouch and Huckerby calcualted gambles or the club going out on a limb, i would say the latter.

[quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

No it doesnt guarantee success, BUT if you have a talented individual spending the money it can certainly help one hell of a lot.  Lust look at Derby, Southampton and Sunderland for examples last season of teams high in the league whom have spent well.  Talented managers like Mick Mccarthy can bring a team up the league with very shrewd purchases and a solid defense.  WBA showed yet again the benefits of keeping your squad intact on relegation.

Do we have a talented manager in charge that the board can risk giving large funds too??  I don''t know.  Do they??

Signing a goalkeeper accepetd by most accounts to have big potential at a higher level on a free transfer? Yeah, sounds horrendous.

If it''s truly that bad, as /everything/ seems to be, why bother supporting Norwich at all?  You must enjoy making life hard on yourself!

A player''s value is only worth what one club is prepared to pay, albeit transfer salary or wages.

Typical case is Steve Howard who went to Derby.... and just look what happened to him last season...

[quote user="djc"]

A player''s value is only worth what one club is prepared to pay, albeit transfer salary or wages.

Typical case is Steve Howard who went to Derby.... and just look what happened to him last season...

[/quote]

Billy Davies identified a weak area of the team.  (and can anyone else remember the hopeless lanky striker they had playing for them the season before - I remember his awful performance well - dunno who he is though)  Targetted a player he assessed would fill the hole, and his managerial choices were fully backed by the Derby board winning the signature against another club whom did not have faith in their managers abilities.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="jimmy500"]

[/quote]

No it doesnt guarantee success, BUT if you have a talented individual spending the money it can certainly help one hell of a lot.  Lust look at Derby, Southampton and Sunderland for examples last season of teams high in the league whom have spent well.  Talented managers like Mick Mccarthy can bring a team up the league with very shrewd purchases and a solid defense.  WBA showed yet again the benefits of keeping your squad intact on relegation.

Do we have a talented manager in charge that the board can risk giving large funds too??  I don''t know.  Do they??

[/quote]

Southampton didn''t really spend that big, plus lets not forget that they had 12 million quid of theo walcott clash to burn.  Sunderland had new investors with cash and Derby had re-structured their debt (by a share issue? not sure).  This season we have the Turners cash to spend, its still early doors so maybe we will spend big (and take a calculated gamble) this summer.  You are right money does help.  But it doesn''t matter how much you have it still has to be spent sensibly and wisely, its no good just throwing big bucks at clubs and people (Gavin Rae).

WBA were in there first season down, expect wholesale changes at the Hawthornes this summer - watch Kamara, Koumas, Robinson, Gera, Greening, Davies all leave for pastures new.