Sign in to follow this  
dickyst220

What will it take ?????

Have read lots of posts, about sack the board get rid of players etc...... I started this season saying we will reach the play offs. Looks like I got this very wrong!

What do you the posters think is the answer ?????? How can Norwich start winning games again ????? Will it happen next season????

Will not be much of a turn around in our fortunes next season...  Nothing much will change until there is a big shake up in the boardroom...  I feel that maybe we have another year or two of putting up with this c**p before we finally hit rock bottom and the fans demand changes at the top!!!

I think slowly but surely Grant is beginning to make his mark on the club and is bringing in some decent players. We have seen a markable improvement in performance lately and I hope this continues. The real problem though is the size of the squad and lack of decent players.

There is only so much Grant can do without financial backing and with so many players out of contract at the end of the season this summer will really decide what happens next season. If lots of players move on and we can''t replace them or replace them with quality then we could easily be looking at relegation. If we ship out the deadwood and bring in real quality players that gel as a unit then promotion could be on the cards! Over to the board IMO!!!

[quote user="dickyst220"]

Have read lots of posts, about sack the board get rid of players etc...... I started this season saying we will reach the play offs. Looks like I got this very wrong!

What do you the posters think is the answer ?????? How can Norwich start winning games again ????? Will it happen next season????

[/quote]

We''re on a spiral downwards which will take us on to another relegation dogfight next year. Sad to say it...but I can''t see any light at the end of the tunnel until wholesale changes are made from top to bottom.

Why others blindly see us as somehow different to Notts Forest, Wolves, Blackburn, Fulham, Sunderland, Charlton, Sheff Utd/Weds, Leeds etc etc....who have all been down before getting sorted I don''t know. We are a decent club with a poor team right now....but I''m certain we will be back on song in the long run. How long is anyone''s guess however.

Without the parachute payments to fund a huge wage bill, we are going to see a lot of changes in the team. Grant will have to look to bring in more players with careers ''on the up'' (like Lappin and Marshall) or careers stalled but with good prospects (like Fozzie and Brown), young and hungry for success. This is not an overnight thing.

I expect us to carry on improving next season, but think we should not have overly high expectations. Top 10 finish next season, with being in the top 6 the season after.

I agree with Alex to an extent; PG is of course not everyone''s cup of tea, but he hasn''t done too much wrong in terms of bolstering/rejigging our playing staff so far, though has maybe shown naivety in tactics at times: he got 4 permanent signings in (all who look decent enough, the jury is out on Brown) + a couple of decent keepers to have a look at, has sent some of the reserves out on loan to see what they are about, and has offloaded two of the players people seemed to want shot of.  Those have to all be decent signs by anyone''s book.

You would certainly hope that PG was given some money for continuing his rebuilding in the Summer, but some of it will probably have to come from player sales - that is surely a fact of life.  Earnie is our prime asset, so it will be interesting to see how it all pans out. 

I don''t see the out of contract players leaving as being a problem: as long as the ''right'' ones go it is surely what we want?! And since it is mostly those that would be on many lists of players to offload whose contracts are up (ie WLY, Thorne and MLJ in particular, but also Hendo) there''s not much of an issue for me.  None of these would command much of a transfer fee so there would be no loss from that perspective, but the money saved from not having them here would be quite a bit to add back into the Playing budget (particularly for Thorne, we are led to believe, on c£500k pa).  DD is the one player whose contract is up who we must re-sign.  No one else has a contract up where the club doesn''t have an option in its favour (ie it is our decision to make whether we keep them), so this issue is not as pressing.  

What will it take for City to winning games consistently? 

Short answer - a lot of hard work from Grant to completely change the mentality of the club.

The long answer is that the malaise has been building since we won this league and I really believe that there have been two key issues that need to be addressed/remedied in order for us to turn it round.  

Transfers - This has been a huge problem.  Forget how much money we think the club should, could have spent.  As far as I can see other clubs have built decent sides for less money than we have spent and sometimes that can be a red herring.  The big problem is that we have been reactive in the transfer market not proactive.  From the Premiership onwards we have been mostly buying/loaning players to plug holes rather than build and unfortunately we have suffered from it.  We have been slow to identify and sign players and generally what money we have spent has largely been wasted.  I was pleased to read an interview with Bryan Gunn recently where he was talking about already looking for players to sign in the summer already.  This gives me some encouragement that we won''t head into next season having only signed 1 new player.

Little Norwich - This to me has been our biggest problem and basically it has meant that 2nd best has been acceptable in some cases.  This was started by the board and has clearly filtered through to the players having witnessed a lot of lacklustre, half hearted efforts from the team.  It started in the Premier League with almost an acceptance from day one that we would go down.  We were treated to Doncaster and Mumbles telling us not to panic if we were relegated because the club had budgeted to finish bottom of the league.  I would agree it is sensible to plan for variable scenarios but to boldly announce it just gave me (I don''t know how others felt) the impression that the club really were not that bothered if we went down.  There was so much of the "We are just going to enjoy the Premier League" rubbish, like we were on some kind of sight seeing holiday.  I never got a real sense of determination from the club that they really were serious about staying up and they would do whatever it took to stay up.  Ultimately we went down with very little fuss from the board, they took a final photo for the album and waved the Premiership bye, bye in the hope that they may one day get to come back.  Cut to last season and again, despite being favourites for the league the board accepted second best.  We got nowhere near the play-offs let alone challenging for automatic promotion and yet the board continued to back Worthington 100%.  I see no problem in backing your manager but again the way it was done just smacked of not being too worried that we didn''t even come close to 6th place.  Again though I see a light at the end of tunnel in that Grant clearly is a 100% man.  He expects it from himself and he clearly demands it from the players.  I hear he is unpopular with some of the players and I''m not surprised, some of them have clearly had an easy ride.

To cut to the chase, a good manager can overcome most problems.  We have to hope that in the long run Grant is a good manager.