Sign in to follow this  
Herbert

Martin - is the academy as a waiste of time?

Flufty...you make some interesting points and I would imagine that you and I have been in the Dome at Colney at the same time in our scouting capacity. I too was asked to find 6 ft 6 players for worthy. 

I agree with a lot of what you say re youth and in particular the 11 a side issue. I now run a girls team (under 13) and a boys team (u15) and I have to say they are both going the same way...effective players are those that can kick it a long way, defenders in good sides dont get a chance to play football and the parents think we are all playing for the FA Cup in each match.

Academy football is however what it is. It is the highest level for young players and a club needs to see how the players can comptete. The Pdc''s are the main problem because they dont really offer what they should. but that''s another story.

By the way I am level two. But McDonalds didn''t give it to me!!!!

Dear Jimmy

I am pleased that I have put some humour into your life as I believe it is not difficult to entertain simple people. Pleased to see that you accept at last there are loopholes but upset that you called me a berk when I thought we were attempting an adult debate and getting on so well. 

I am pleased that you are interested in who I am and would be delighted to answer any questions you may have about Academy football..I accept your apology in advance for calling me names and look forward to keeping you well informed.

PS I did the trip from Norwich to Cambridge last night in 1 hour and 5 mins so you were right, although I did stop for a Mc Donalds at Thetford

yours faithfully

Bond James Bond

[quote user="Hump"]

Dear Jimmy

I am pleased that I have put some humour into your life as I believe it is not difficult to entertain simple people. Pleased to see that you accept at last there are loopholes but upset that you called me a berk when I thought we were attempting an adult debate and getting on so well. 

I am pleased that you are interested in who I am and would be delighted to answer any questions you may have about Academy football..I accept your apology in advance for calling me names and look forward to keeping you well informed.

PS I did the trip from Norwich to Cambridge last night in 1 hour and 5 mins so you were right, although I did stop for a Mc Donalds at Thetford

yours faithfully

Bond James Bond

[/quote]

No worries, 1hr 5, not bad going.  And you didn''t break the speed limit once!!!

Agree now and admit, yes there are loopholes, I was wrong.  That was a good little debate there for a while, I have learnt a lot, thanks to yourself and flufty.

Still disagree with everyone on the flying thing though.  You simply must count check in time.  Also, because I regularly travel to Cambridge with work I always allow an hour and a half.  My record is 50 minutes, but that involved serious motoring, my worst is close to 3 hours (I hate the bit near Mildenhall).

So once again thanks, I do have questions but will probably start a new thread to discuss, hope you can contribute.  Its nice to have serious debate here that does not involve sacking/selling anybody.

PS - The berk bit was meant in the nicest possible way, no offence intended. 

I think we could do much worse than send somebody to Southampton to have a good look at how they run their academy, I believe one of the French guys responsible for the early training of the likes of Henry, Viera and their generation is or was involved.

They seem to have the sort of production line that we once had and it would be very interesting to see if/how their methods differ - prepared to volunteer Saint Canary ? (I would but obviously living where I do they wouldn''t let me within a mile of the place !!)

Mark .Y. 

I still think it is worth you having a look at the profiles of the Present Academy Scholars on th FONCY web site as it does show that most of the 1st and 2nd years come from outside the area. It would be interesting to see how long next years New pros have been at the club. 

[quote user="jimmy500"]

The reason that the academy has stopped producing talent is down to the 90 minute travelling rule.  If you set out from norwich 90 minutes would possibly get you as far as cambridge, ipswich, kings lynn.

Basically what this means is that the club does not have the catchment area to choose from, and as a result the academy is suffering.  If you look at ipswich for example 90 minutes takes them into central london.

We will unearth talent locally, unfortunately it will be few and far between.

For once we cant blame the club for this.

[/quote]

The main catchment area Ipswich have to draw from is Essex and North London-and of course they have to compete with W.Ham,Arsenal,Spurs,Colchester,Southend etc. for the best youngsters. I think one positive side effect of their financial woes over recent years is that good youngsters have chosen them over bigger clubs because they know they are far more likely to get into the 1st team.

However, i still think City can count themselves very fortunate to be the only club in a large county (830,000 people) and are therefore virtually guaranteed to secure the best young talent in this area.

I have been to this academy and they have recently given a chance to Bale and sold Walcott. Our Academy plays them regularly and competes very well. We were unfortunate to lose to them in the FA youth cup a couple of years ago. They employed Clive Woodward for a short time before they got rid of him and have quite a few foreign players in their side-Great for our english lads!

The difference is they gave Youth a chance and we apart from Martin do not. There are more hidden gems in our Academy just wait and see and hope Grunt gives them a chance too. In my opinion there are three or four players who have the potential to exceed Martins progress but are not as physically ready YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

[quote user="Hump"]

Dear Jimmy

yours faithfully

Bond James Bond

[/quote]

he was an hour in Mcd''s. their service is shocking!

jas :)

At last some humour.The reason the service was so poor was Peter Thorne is working there with Nigel Worthington and they did not have any idea how to do there job-nothing changes then.

Thought I saw MLJ -any one had any other sightings

MLJ!!, is he a real person, I thought he was just a figment of the clubs imagination.

And leave Nigel Worthington and his team at McD''s alone.  I have spoken to Nigel about the shocking service and he said that he couldn''t fault the committment and effort.  Thats good enough for me..... 

[quote user="Hump"]

[/quote]

impossible! he doesnt exist.. he was a figment of our imagination.. hence the fact he''s never been seen at Carrow Road!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Hump"]

[/quote]

impossible! he doesnt exist.. he was a figment of our imagination.. hence the fact he''s never been seen at Carrow Road!

[/quote]

He does exist!  I say him just the other day having a drink in the pub with Harvey the rabbit, Santa Claus and a pixie.

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Hump"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He does exist!  I say him just the other day having a drink in the pub with Harvey the rabbit, Santa Claus and a pixie.

[/quote]

dam I missed it! it must of been when i was in ASda asking Carl Cort which is the best type of baked bean to buy!