Sign in to follow this  
Archie

Dont spend money now

That is assuming we can avoid relegation........

a) the season is over as far as achievement is concerned, not worth spending extra just to finish 15th as opposed to 17th - are there great players still there? If not, why pay 6 months wages?

b) prices are hugely inflated in January, look at the amount players are going for now!

c) the fact that we finished low won''t be such a big deal in the summer (a new start), as opposed to being a lower half team now, so we should be able to attract better players 

[quote user="Archie"]

a) the season is over as far as achievement is concerned, not worth spending extra just to finish 15th as opposed to 17th - are there great players still there? If not, why pay 6 months wages?

b) prices are hugely inflated in January, look at the amount players are going for now!

c) the fact that we finished low won''t be such a big deal in the summer (a new start), as opposed to being a lower half team now, so we should be able to attract better players 

[/quote]

I think the squad needs such a massive overhaul that we need to blend in new arrivals gradually as a massive influx all at once is disruptive. Portsmouth now have a good side but when Redknapp first arrived he bought people left, right and centre and it didn''t gel to begin with. If we bring a few in now and a few more in the summer, then we have a chance next year.

I say get in enough quality now to make sure relegation doesn''t happen

and then a wholesale clearout in the summer. Though a complete new

midfield could hardly perform worse than the current shirkers. IMO we

should be biting Portsmouth''s hand off if they''re interested in Etuhu,

it may fund a/some replacements that seems to care. I''d be surprised if

a midfielder or two aren''t top of Grant''s list anyway, whatever is said

in public.

We could do with selling some players but the scout probably read this site and we are therefore devaluing our entire squad!

I agree with you about the January window - hgih prices in panic and because sellers need to replace quickly. (PG had top wait until Keane had a replcement for Brown, but clearly this was all discussed before January.It may be too late, with little more than two weeks of the window left, but if PG has targets/contacts these could be worked on if:1) they fill emergency positions - centre-back, goal keeper, possibly striker (if Ernie is going to be out several weeks)2) they are part of a team building process which can help to mount an effective stab at promltion next year or the year after.

Sadly I Disagree.

Spend money now, get the players Grant wants, give them this half of our woeful season to bed in, and then come next season hit the ground running.

[quote user="Archie"]

[/quote]It''s this "assuming we can avoid relegation" part that worries me. Because we are basically relying on three other teams being worse than us. Let''s face it, Grant hasn''t a clue how to get this lot to perform. So we can either give him the cash to have a go with players he thinks can perform for him. Or we cross our fingers, and hope the team as it stands can scrape together enough points to maintain our Championship status. Because if we carry on playing as we did against Plymouth, it''s hard to see where the wins will come from. Especially without Earnie''s goals.

Do it gradually, but don''t put it off indefinitely.

I''m afraid I wouldn''t bank on the current squad keeping us up at the moment, unless they actually started caring...

Buy now so the new players can bed in,if they are no good shift them before next season,buying close season dosen''t work  just look at jarrett and huges half a midfield brought close season,that didn''t work very well did it

If we don''t buy now and Southend and Leeds manage to pick up in the next few weeks then we are dead and buried!!!!  [N]