Sign in to follow this  
Taxing

Norwich Board ambitious or not ?

So the Pink Un is reporting that Warnock has shifted his attention from Nugent to Earnshaw. Warnock described Preston''s asking price of £6M for Nugent as outrageous but presumably the Preston Board deliberately set this level because they want to keep Nugent. Will Warnock be reported as describing the Norwich asking price for Earnshaw as outrageous or will we be shortly hearing mumblings from the likes of Doncaster that " every player has his price and Earnshaw wanted to go any way and pointless to try and keep him " ............. or will it be revealed that Earnshaw had a clause written in his contract enabling him to go if a Premiership club came in for him at, say, over £4M ?.......... for me, the next few days and the actions of our Board will determine once and for all whether or not our club has finally resigned itself to another long period of Championship mid-table mediochrity. I''m not confident.

Preston are in with a good shout of getting Promotion this season.  If they can hold onto Nugent until the summer, then they might get promoted and can afford to keep him for next season.  If they do not promote, I would expect Nugent to go to either a newly promoted Premiership team, or a team in the bottom 10 in that league.Norwich''s current situation is very different.  Promotion is very unlikely, and we need to rebuild.  As others have pointed out, if a team offers us 5 million, we could use that money to bring in serious reinforcements.  I would be surprised if Earnshaw went to Sheffield United though, especially if Portsmouth are also interested in him.

I understand what you say. However, firstly, I have not given up on the idea of getting into the play-off places. PG has clearly stated that he has been given the funds to bring in new players and if he succeeds it is still possible that we can put together a good run. We already have some excellent players in key positions but we need a big, mobile striker to partner Earnie and decent quality alternatives to Shackell and Drury. With 3 points for a win the gulf between us and the play-off zone is bridgeable. On the other side of the coin, if we sell Earnie we lose the only player that we have who can score goals regularly and, frankly, that will mean that relegation becomes IMO a really probability not least because of the mood of depression and negativity that we will shroud Carrow Road.

Like selling Mckenzie and getting Cotterill. Remember that one.

We need the players in BEFORE selling otherwise all we''ll get is excuses for not spending it. (we should surely have enough in reserve from the profit from Ashton, Green and Leon + parachute money).

My bet is we''ll sell earnshaw for 5M and then be told we only actually got 2.5M and how could you rebuild a squad on that. How may Carl Robinsons and Andy Hughes would that buy.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Preston are in with a good shout of getting Promotion this season.  If they can hold onto Nugent until the summer, then they might get promoted and can afford to keep him for next season.  If they do not promote, I would expect Nugent to go to either a newly promoted Premiership team, or a team in the bottom 10 in that league.

Norwich''s current situation is very different.  Promotion is very unlikely, and we need to rebuild.  As others have pointed out, if a team offers us 5 million, we could use that money to bring in serious reinforcements.  I would be surprised if Earnshaw went to Sheffield United though, especially if Portsmouth are also interested in him.
[/quote]

It''s only different because the Board has allowed us to drift towards this present obscurity. Had they shown any ambition when we were in the top flight....or immediately after promotion....the thread title wouldn''t be asked.

Sell Earnshaw by all means...but don''t expect to see the total received spent on new players.........

I am not sure it is down to a pure lack of ambition, although the small club and little Norwich mentality is very evident at board level.  I believe part of the problem we have is the lack of aggression and dodgy dealing we do in the transfer market.  we are to damn nice and up front, and we do not have those essential insider relationships that make people like Rednapp succesful. We are not ruthless or aggressive in our dealings, back off to quickly,  and always settle for poor second choice when our first target is gone.  As Grant has apparently said himself, the whole place is to nice and needs to be completely overhauled. We need some fighters and old scrappers off the pitch as well as on it to get the best deals.

[quote user="Baron Bludgeon 1"]

So the Pink Un is reporting that Warnock has shifted his attention from Nugent to Earnshaw. Warnock described Preston''s asking price of £6M for Nugent as outrageous but presumably the Preston Board deliberately set this level because they want to keep Nugent. Will Warnock be reported as describing the Norwich asking price for Earnshaw as outrageous or will we be shortly hearing mumblings from the likes of Doncaster that " every player has his price and Earnshaw wanted to go any way and pointless to try and keep him " ............. or will it be revealed that Earnshaw had a clause written in his contract enabling him to go if a Premiership club came in for him at, say, over £4M ?.......... for me, the next few days and the actions of our Board will determine once and for all whether or not our club has finally resigned itself to another long period of Championship mid-table mediochrity. I''m not confident.
[/quote]

We could use the money to bring in serious reinforcements could we BlahBlah , only trouble being nobody half decent will come anywhere near this club at the moment as this transfer window is proving .

The board has forgotten they run a FOOTBAL club NCFC, they only think about NCPLC and thats where all their ambishtion is going = Off the FOOTBALL pitch.

[quote user="Brian Burrell"]The board has forgotten they run a FOOTBAL club NCFC, they only think about NCPLC and thats where all their ambishtion is going = Off the FOOTBALL pitch.[/quote]yes, to many of the norwich directors including doomcaster are building there own little empires within our great club.The end result is already starting to happen. A club in debt and out of control and on the pitch the team are sinking without a fight.SACK GRANT NOW