Sign in to follow this  
Jonzey

I give up football

I''ve had enough of football.

Many things have been bothering me over the past couple of years, namely; ridiculous wages, very little loyalty amongst players and managers, foreign takeovers, diving, poor referees, no repect amongst players (Ronaldo the winker), expensive tickets, Skys monopoly on the premiership, bad losers (Arsene Wenger), corruption, bungs, cheats...... I could fill the page.

But the straw that has broken the camels back was whilst I was watching Chelsea vs Arsenal last week, particularly the antics of Didier Drogba and Jens Lehman when they had their little handbag fight. Anyone watching the game will understand where I''m coming from, they acted like the worst kind of petulant school children and it made me cringe.

I can no longer bare to watch football as I find it pathetic. Can anybody please help by giving me reasons why I should return to the sport I have so loved for the past 15 years?

Jonezy

Sounds like you are sick of the Premiership, not of football.  The two aren''t the same thing, just as pantomime isn''t theatre.  Why not watch the lower league stuff where these ridiculous antics are scarcer, and though the skill levels are less, the passion is still there?

Basically the Premiership is just a soap opera for grown men.

I cant give you any reasons,but try channel 442 on Sky. Its packed full of 70''s 80''s & even some early premiership year matches. Even City feature on there once or twice a week.

[quote user="fuzzyfelt"]

Sounds like you are sick of the Premiership, not of football.  The two aren''t the same thing, just as pantomime isn''t theatre.  Why not watch the lower league stuff where these ridiculous antics are scarcer, and though the skill levels are less, the passion is still there?

Basically the Premiership is just a soap opera for grown men.

[/quote]

True, the sportsmanship gets better the lower down the league you go. Might get down to watch my local team Dereham soon.

[quote user="TwoSheds"]I cant give you any reasons,but try channel 442 on Sky. Its packed full of 70''s 80''s & even some early premiership year matches. Even City feature on there once or twice a week.[/quote]

Ah back in the days when there were proper fights between men on pitch, bone crunching tackles and no substitues!! Why has FIFA turned our sport into one for pussies who roll about like they''ve shot after even a mild challenge?

[quote user="Jonzey"]

[quote user="TwoSheds"]I cant give you any reasons,but try channel 442 on Sky. Its packed full of 70''s 80''s & even some early premiership year matches. Even City feature on there once or twice a week.[/quote]

Ah back in the days when there were proper fights between men on pitch, bone crunching tackles and no substitues!! Why has FIFA turned our sport into one for pussies who roll about like they''ve shot after even a mild challenge?

[/quote]

I watch my kids play every week......and it is a real breath of fresh air.

No cheating....no diving.....no monetry gain. Just old fashioned fun............[Y]

IMO the premiership has got boring...  the outcome is inevitable and the matches between the top sides have been appalling of recent times.  You actually get better games with the lesser premiership teams now, but they have no hope of acheiving anything.  I used to watch premiership games all the time, I am now seriously considering dumping my skysports subscription.

The standard of football in the chapionship seems to be poor.  But as sheff wednesday showed us, when you get a team playing solidly with no real stars they can do well in this league rather than the disjointed mess worthless has left us with.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

I''ve had enough of football.

Many things have been bothering me over the past couple of years, namely; ridiculous wages, very little loyalty amongst players and managers, foreign takeovers, diving, poor referees, no repect amongst players (Ronaldo the winker), expensive tickets, Skys monopoly on the premiership, bad losers (Arsene Wenger), corruption, bungs, cheats...... I could fill the page.

But the straw that has broken the camels back was whilst I was watching Chelsea vs Arsenal last week, particularly the antics of Didier Drogba and Jens Lehman when they had their little handbag fight. Anyone watching the game will understand where I''m coming from, they acted like the worst kind of petulant school children and it made me cringe.

I can no longer bare to watch football as I find it pathetic. Can anybody please help by giving me reasons why I should return to the sport I have so loved for the past 15 years?

Jonezy

[/quote]

I think the current NCFC have come out in sympathy with you........They gave up football roughly around over 2 seasons ago.

Hope it makes you feel better......

i feel exactly the same . ive watched norwich and footie in general for over 30 years but right now i feel jarred off with the whole thing . players getting far too much money and putting no effort in , all the diving and cheating etc etc . i wont be renewing my season ticket which is gonna save me a fortune and at least then i wont have to pull my hair out watching robinson and co .

Thanks for the replies.

It''s very interesting that nobody gave me a reason to watch top flight football at all.

Blimey, I really do think I mean it. After watching football for as long as I remember I just do not want to watch it or hear about it ever again. Who is there to blame? Rupert Murdoch, horrible little players like Bowyer, Bellamy, Ronaldo, Dyer, the corrupt agents, the corrupt board rooms, the awful referees?

No, I blame myself for supporting the game with my money over the years and putting up with the declining morals and sportsmanship. And I blame all other supporters for doing the same.

My money is no longer going towards a leather interior upgrade for Darren Huckerby''s brand new 70g BMW, or a back pocket bung to some manager, or exotic fish in the boardroom, or drugs to go up an agents nose. I''m keeping it, and I hope somebody at the FA or FIFA reads these message boards so they realise the knockon effects of ruining the game with too much money, and not punishing cheats enough.

And a message to the rest of you who are no doubt going to continue shelling out ridiculous money on a corrupt sport which can justify paying Wayne Rooney 100g''s a week, or tolerate agents making millions, or can standby and watch Ronaldo or Johnson get away with diving almost every week, or Drogba and Lehman acting like petulant spoilt children in the hope of getting the other sent off!!:

It''s pantomime, almost as bad as WWE wrestling. Why do you follow it?

This is Jonezy signing out, for ever.

See ya.

I totally understand where you are coming from I worked it out that I went to my first professional game (at Highbury) when I was 7. As I am now 59 that is over half a century ago. I loved the game all that time but it is beginning to depress me. I have never invested in Sky (never will, won''t make Murdock richer than he already is) it is just not worth watching anymore. The Premiership is a two horse race most seasons might be 3 if Arsenal get back on track but who cares. Since 1962 I have lived in, and supported Norwich and though I would love to see them promoted, as I have on 3 other occasions to the old first division they would not survive. Unlike the occasions I mentioned they not only had a fighting chance of staying up but you could be reasonably optimistic they could finish about halfway or better. We go up recently and Nigel and Delia start talking, before a ball is kicked, about fourth from bottom as their target, pathetic but probably realistic.

I re-newed my seson ticket this year after an 11 year break but sadly I won''t be back can''t see any hope at present, gave up my last ticket because I got fed up with the best players being sold vis a vis Chris Sutton but this board will be just as bad, Earnshaw will definately be gone before next season starts. Not going to waste anymore time or money on football. Money is the be all and end all of this once wonderful game but it is becoming more and more elitist by the day. When you listen to the likes of Hansen, Lineker and the other pundits if it doesn''t happen in the Premier league it isn''t worth watching and if it''s not Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Man.U then it must be crap. Sick and tired of it, they make some of these players sound as if they are more important than the fantastic medical consultants this country has and should be proud to have.

[quote user="tel"]

I totally understand where you are coming from I worked it out that I went to my first professional game (at Highbury) when I was 7. As I am now 59 that is over half a century ago. I loved the game all that time but it is beginning to depress me. I have never invested in Sky (never will, won''t make Murdock richer than he already is) it is just not worth watching anymore. The Premiership is a two horse race most seasons might be 3 if Arsenal get back on track but who cares. Since 1962 I have lived in, and supported Norwich and though I would love to see them promoted, as I have on 3 other occasions to the old first division they would not survive. Unlike the occasions I mentioned they not only had a fighting chance of staying up but you could be reasonably optimistic they could finish about halfway or better. We go up recently and Nigel and Delia start talking, before a ball is kicked, about fourth from bottom as their target, pathetic but probably realistic.

I re-newed my seson ticket this year after an 11 year break but sadly I won''t be back can''t see any hope at present, gave up my last ticket because I got fed up with the best players being sold vis a vis Chris Sutton but this board will be just as bad, Earnshaw will definately be gone before next season starts. Not going to waste anymore time or money on football. Money is the be all and end all of this once wonderful game but it is becoming more and more elitist by the day. When you listen to the likes of Hansen, Lineker and the other pundits if it doesn''t happen in the Premier league it isn''t worth watching and if it''s not Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, or Man.U then it must be crap. Sick and tired of it, they make some of these players sound as if they are more important than the fantastic medical consultants this country has and should be proud to have.

[/quote]

A great post...and maybe an answer to my own thoughts on the game these days. When I give up my seat next year to become a ''casual'' guest at CR......I''ll be off to see Wroxham or Aylsham play instead. There I''ll see lots of guts and effort....and have a few laughs too. I guess I''m just a grass roots fan if I''m honest.

I wish it were different....and maybe a change or two at CR will see improvements so that I can come back again and start enjoying things. Sadly now when I sit down with my sons and talk football...the word ''millions'' comes into it very quickly and I switch off......I wonder if they will look back in 30 years and remember these years as the ''good old days''?