.....not because of the great result last night but because I made the

mistake of going down beneath the City Stand to the so-called

refreshment area for a pee - now, not for the first time, I have a bad

sore throat from all the smoke down there. In my opinion the stand has

been poorly designed, with next to no ventillation and insufficient

exits from the seating areas (this leads to long queues at the end of

the match but that''s another story). In addition the stewards now close

the exit doors to the street at half time, which makes things even

worse. The air is quite simply thick with visible clouds of smoke.

I am seriously considering switching my season ticket to another part

of the ground for next season,but first I need to know whether the

Government''s smoking ban, which I understand comes in in July, will

mean no more smoking at Carrow Road - I personally sincerely hope that

it does, however, will smoking be banned a) nowhere b) everywhere

(seats and refreshment areas) c) will people still be able to smoke in

their seats ?(I am not sure if that is already prohibited or not).

Apologies to all smokers, I do expect a backlash, but keep it

constructive please! You will probably have already guessed that I am

myself an ex-smoker (the worst kind). Oh yes, and how can you people

afford to smoke AND support Norwich City - have you won the lottery or

something?

I''ll finish now, losing my voice.....croak......

If they bring in a total ban, I can see Mumbles and Michael Wynn Jones nipping out for a quick drag at regular intervals . . .  Cue chants of "We can see you sneaking out" . . .

Seriously though, did you know that when you smoke you inhale Polonium 210?  I''m not making it up, it came from one of the radiation experts on TV last week after that Russian guy was killed.  It occurs naturally and is harmless unless you take it inside your body. 

A lot of the animosity towards smokers could be nullified if people smoked a bit more responsibly.I smoke, but when at the football I have one on the way to the game, at half time when the stand is half empty and afterwards.It would be antisocial to sit puffing all the way through the game while I''m elbow to elbow with people.Incidentally, unless my sense of smell is playing tricks on me, tobacco wasn''t the only thing being smoked in the upper Barclay last night...[:O] [H]

I couldn''t agree more. I take my young daughter and I have to ask her to go to the loo before the firts half finishes to avoid the smoke. Just cutting a way through it before the game is bad enough and, as we sit right near an entrance/exit we get the pong all through the game. Queues, as HHC points out, are dreadful at half time. People are still trying to get out five well into the interval and therfore arrive back late to their seats (which is an even bigger pain!). It was obvious from day one that there were not enought exits but I guess it''s all about maximising capacity and never mind the paying public. Crocked and "surplus to requirements" players and wives and girlfriends sit just behind us - tight jeans, wide belts, sixties caps, at least two mobile telephones and fluffy jackets (and thats just the players!) - I wonder what they make of it all.

Smoking will be banned in all enclosed areas where people are working, so unless the people behind the refreshment stands and the stewards are there for free then it will will not be allowed.

Smoking will be banned in all enclosed areas where people are working, so unless the people behind the refreshment stands and the stewards are there for free then it will will not be allowed.

I''ve felt the same when going down there at half time, I''d rather freeze on the terrace. Fear not, your not the only one.

[:)] As a smoker and a season ticket holder I can agree with what you are saying to a certain extent, we can still smoke in the BE, however as most people around us do not smoke I will go down under the stand to have a smoke, as I try to appreciate how others feel.  Would it not be better for you to ring the club and ask why the doors are shut?  Or why maybe the ventilation is not working well enough? I don''t know if the new laws coming in in 2007 will cover all areas or just those enclosed public places and those serving food.  As far as I am aware you can still smoke in the open air.  As an ex-smoker can you ever remember what it was like to be dictated to where and when you could smoke, and think back to what your reply may have been?  Personally if the football club ban smoking in all areas sobeit, but the club should let supporters out of the ground for a cigarette if they require one.  I respect your choice at giving up smoking, and yes you are a typical ex-smoker, but respect the smokers choice too, works both ways you know [:D]

I can afford to smoke and how I afford to do it is my business surely?  Would you ask a drinker how he or she affords to have a few pints before the game and support NCFC?

If I could not afford to smoke I would give up. Simple really [;)]

[quote user="Huge Hairy Canary"].....not because of the great result last night but because I made the mistake of going down beneath the City Stand to the so-called refreshment area for a pee - now, not for the first time, I have a bad sore throat from all the smoke down there. In my opinion the stand has been poorly designed, with next to no ventillation and insufficient exits from the seating areas (this leads to long queues at the end of the match but that''s another story). [/quote]

it is...

they COULD NOT clear that stadium quickly in an emergency.. there arent enough exits!

jas :)