Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Norwich

Celebrity fans on Wikipedia

This must be a joke surely? I know quite a few of the famous fans (right at the bottom), like Mylene, Stephen Fry and someone called Delia Smith, but Rachel from Neighbours?! And Hugh Jackman?! I love Wikipedia to bits but I have to wonder sometimes when members of the public can freely chop and change things. Anyone knows if these are all kosher?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_City_F.C.

Yup, Rachel''s family are from Norwich and some of Hugh''s live here too. Both have been quoted as supporting the Canaries but doubt either have been to a game.

Rachel from neighbours was on radio norfolk a few weeks ago. She has family in Norwich, its a place close to her heart!

But sophie ellis - bextor!?

D''oh! I posted that and then almost immediately afterwards looked at the Man In The Stands column. Any guesses as to what the entire first paragraph was about? And yes, I do feel a bit silly!

[quote user="Forbes17"]I know quite a few of the famous fans like Mylene. [/quote]

I think you''ll find that''s spelt Myleene.

There is only one Mylene, and her surname is Farmer.

She''s a French singer and she''s fantastic. A sexy and gorgeous redhead (see my avatar, which unfortunately is a bit squashed), very rich and one of the most famous people in France - unfortunately she ain''t a City fan.

When it comes to more important things, like the entries on Israel and Palestine, there''s a lot of discussion and unsubstantiated stuff gets zapped pretty quickly.

I remember an hilarious entry on Jason Koumas which made all sorts of extravagant claims about his career. Shows how many people cared about making sure the facts were right in his case.

When it really matters, there are enough Wikipedia contributors involved to make sure the fairest explanation possible is presented.

I can''t really see Hugh Jackman giving a toss about the Canaries. Maybe he once said he supported a team that plays in green and yellow, meaning his national rugby team. They are Norwich in disguise!

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

Rachel from neighbours was on radio norfolk a few weeks ago. She has family in Norwich, its a place close to her heart!

But sophie ellis - bextor!?[/quote]

Yeah - that quite a well known one, too. :)

I think I''m right in saying that anybody can add bits to any page on Wikipedia. I''ve never had a go myself, but I think you''ll find various joke "facts" spread around on this information source that have been added by comedians amongst the general public. People like Tony Blair or George Bush are prime targets for this type of malarkey. Jeremy Clarkson famously said that he would never use a research assistant who relied on Wikipedia.

[quote user="Matt Hudson"]

But sophie ellis - bextor!?[/quote]

I may be wrong but I seem to remember an interview in which she said her most prized possesion was a pair of Norich City F.C. knickers...

I think I''m right in saying there was an interview in one magazine a while back, possibly FHM or something, where they asked Hugh Jackman what his favourite place in the world was and he replied "The Nags Head in Norwich".

No idea why I''ve remembered that but there you go!