Sign in to follow this  
Garlic Bread?!

Good enough for the premiership?

Lets just say we got promoted do you think our squad would be able to compete - would the doc be awful in the prem again, would drury lose form would saf robbo and dickson be as solid? What about crofty he wasnt good enough for man city and earnie couldnt cut it at wba. Not meaning to be negative at all just what do you think - our starting 11 is very young and pacey and i reckon bar deano we have a better team than we had in the prem but i dont know whether its good enough to cut it in the prem.

I think we would be more likely to go down if if we did get promoted than last time.

We are in a worse financial position specifically.

We struggled last time to buy the players we needed and to think that now we are 20 mil in debt, well I don''t think we will be able to amount any sort of push.

Why ask a question like that now. I think your jumping the gun. If we can stay injury free we stand a chance of promotion but I don''t think we will stay injury free or buy the back players we so badly need. Anyway in answer to your hypothetical question I''d say not a chance in hell. I would expect the club to spend and deal big time if we get up in an attempt to stay there. Doc, Robinson, Colin, Etuhu and even Safri would be out of their depth and either too slow or too lightweight. As for the new guy he is not in my view very pacey he''s quickish but not really what you''d call fast he would struggle. Huckerby is a big favourite of mine but he was only partly successful in the prem last time however he can hold his own. Shackhell? we will have to see promising player but who knows it would be tough for him to play week in week out at that level so soon. Drury will run his socks off for you but in a league where there are full back storming up the wing putting in top quality crosses he will be lacking also he will get run ragged at times. The keeper, I like the guy but he''s not top draw and he''s very small. That leave Earnshaw who I believe can do a good job in top flight. He had a good goal scoring record at WBA the problem was 1 Robson is a to$$er and 2 I think he was lazy. I was worried when he first came to CR that he was a flash harry always looking to shoot and expecting to have it put on a plate. I do however think he has improved greatly in his work rate and team play since he arrived and I am convinced he could be a good goal scorer for us in the top flight. Hope that hasn''t put you on too much of a downer but you did ask.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

I think we would be more likely to go down if if we did get promoted than last time.

We are in a worse financial position specifically.

We struggled last time to buy the players we needed and to think that now we are 20 mil in debt, well I don''t think we will be able to amount any sort of push.

[/quote]

I agree that it''s largely down to money, but in actual fact we''re not much worse off financially than we were before.

We were £18.1 million in debt when we went up last time, only we didn''t know about it.  The loan which increased the debt from £8 million was taken out in 2003/4.

I think we would have the core of a good side. Earnshaw DID score goals for WBA in the Premiership. Croft will be a year older, more experienced and a better player, who could crack the Prem. Hucks could still do a job because of his pace. Our midfield looks solid and i would say that etuhu if he keeps it up (remember he''s still young) would be good as could safri. Doherty has improved as a player no end but i would say Shackall may adapt better. Drury''s Premiership problem was Huckerby on the left wing, he had no cover and was isolated. With our new formation he''d be fine.

It really is far to early to be thinking about this but i would say that with 3 or 4 Good new addditions we could do it.

As others have said, it''s mad to even consider this a possibility right now, we''ve beaten a team 5-1, but it was Barnsley, and they were down to ten men.

As for whether we are good enough, to survive you need to be able to get 38 points.  That''s 11 wins and 5 draws.  Which means we''d need 8 home wins from 19 as a minimum, probably more with our away form.  Are there 8 teams in the Prem that we could beat at home ? Are there 3 we could beat away ?  Right now, I''d have to say probably not.  With reinforcements it could be a different matter though.

At the moment we still dont know if we really are good enough to get back in let alone survive there...  we have three excellent home wins, are on a 4 game unbeaten streak playing a style of football that we all enjoy.  However we have yet to have an injury nor win away nor beat one of the key promotion rivals.   These things may come and if the form continues as it is at the moment against those side and in those circumstances then we know we will be good enough to get up.

Staying there is another thing;  an injection of quality would be needed  but nothing would be impossible.