Sign in to follow this  
Canary02

Thinning

Assuming Leon bails by the time the window closes, the squad is now THIS thin.

GK: Gallacher, Lewis

DF: Louis-Jean, Colin, Cave-Brown, Drury, Fleming, Shackell, Doherty, Halliday

MF: Etuhu, Robinson, Safri, Hughes, Rossi Jarvis, Spillane, Fisk

WI: Huckerby, Croft, Henderson, McVeigh, Eagle

S: Earnshaw, Thorne, Ryan Jarvis

The question is, do we go on a signing offensive and after bringing in a quality striker, then bring in lots of cheap gambles to flesh the squad out, because a squad as thin on numbers and strength in depth has never won a league anywhere?!!!

We''re assuming that all the money from Greeno''s transfer (and Leon''s if it happens) will be made available for new signings, but we don''t actually know that do we?

Over to you Mr Doncaster.  Come on, let''s be avin you. 

We will need reinforcements but i dont think its as bad as it looks. You are allowed the emergency loans so if for instance Drury picked up an injury we could replace him on a short term loan, we don''t nesseceraly need 3 or 4 permanent signings in the next 10 days.

I think cover at centre half and left back would be handy, as we only have 1 left Back in the squad and 3 centre halfs with 1st team experience. If a loan was possible i would still like to see someone else to add compettion in midfield, Hughes isnt good enough and if we have an injury with the current formation he would have to play. Unfortunately Koumas is probably out of our range even with the money we had, the sale green and the hopefully iminent departure of mckenzie. We obviously also need at least 1 striker, if Leon leaves i don''t think we nesseceraly need. We have Earnshaw in a 4-5-1 and hopefully a new signing if we play 4-4-2 and we''d still have thorne, Ryan J, henderson and mcveigh who all offer defferenet things.

Lets just hope worthy has a thing or 2 up his sleave.

Personally, to be completely comfortable I think we need:

A Keeper: Reserve quality will do. A years loan, or a freebie will be fine.

A left back: See above.

A Centre Back: See above

A Right Winger: See above

2 Strikers: One quality Target Man, and without Leon, one other quality striker. Both will cost though.

A midfielder: Should be of good quality, and someone who is at the very least, an immediate challenger for a first team place.

Basically, I think we need 2 strikers and a midfielder of good quality, and four others to cover for injuries and to add to the squad. Whether cash will be available is another matter, but we are painfully thin on the ground.

And there was me thinking this thread was going to be about your hairline... (yes I know, and mine)

We''re never going to get real quality in the first 4 positions, as

they''re never going to be first team contenders, so we need to look to

lower leagues or Prem reserves for these.  and as much as I''d love

two new midfielders to take the place of Robinson and Hughes, I doubt

Worthy will do that.

So the priority for the bulk of the money is a decent Target Man

striker - if Leon goes, it will leave us with only one proven NCFC

goalscorer - Thorne does not count, and Jarvis has never really had a

run.  But I''d like to see us look into the lower leagues/smaller

clubs and try to pick up a young talent - Freddie Eastwood, maybe?

[quote user="Canary02"]

Assuming Leon bails by the time the window closes, the squad is now THIS thin.

GK: Gallacher, Lewis

DF: Louis-Jean, Colin, Cave-Brown, Drury, Fleming, Shackell, Doherty, Halliday

MF: Etuhu, Robinson, Safri, Hughes, Rossi Jarvis, Spillane, Fisk

WI: Huckerby, Croft, Henderson, McVeigh, Eagle

S: Earnshaw, Thorne, Ryan Jarvis

The question is, do we go on a signing offensive and after bringing in a quality striker, then bring in lots of cheap gambles to flesh the squad out, because a squad as thin on numbers and strength in depth has never won a league anywhere?!!!

[/quote]

assuming this is correct then we do not need to strenghten the midfiel or wings because in total we have 12 players for 4 positions, however i take your point about strenghening the defence and strikers and a keep.. therefore my wish list would be this

i presume we have about 1.5 million from green sale, about 500k left over from sumer budget and about 750 000 form sale of mckenzie

1. jimmy walker (gk) on a free from west ham or loan all season

2. billy jones (lb,cb,cm) about 500 thousand from 750 00 sale of mckenzie

3. there we would have about 2.25 million to spen on 2 strikers, i would therefore go aboiut 1.5 million on kuqi and 750 00 on billy sharp or possibly nacho novo

the only emergency loans are for goalkeepers. championship clubs can sign players on loan until the march deadline