Sign in to follow this  
ronbol ronbol

Doncaster - millions wasted on loan players.

The article from doncaster fails to mention the money mis-management that the manager and board have allowed to happen by getting loan players in. It wastes cash with nothing to show at the end of it.explain that one doncaster.....

I guess often you''re right 2 Ronbols but Messrs Huckerby, Crouch & the little chap from Wolves playing wide right at the end of the promotion season, & who''s name escapes me, would be examples of where loan signings can, at the right time, be sound investments

you get that player playing for you for those particular games. Much like a season ticket. You see a defined number games but don''t actually own the seat or any part of the ground. I could go on to mention Harper, Cough and Huckerby.

It also suggests that we the fans think the club is "awash with cash". 

No we don''t, but the real point is that we don''t need to spend untold millions.  We have the makings of a very good squad that is just one or two players, or about £1.5 million, short.  With this year''s parachute payment it can''t be an impossible sum to find, unless we really are in financial trouble.  And if it saves us forking out for emergency loans it makes financial as well as footballing sense.  Prudence and ambition don''t have to be mutually exclusive, Neil.

ND also says we were "only half a million better off" after promotion last time.  I haven''t a clue what he means by that, but according to the Annual Report we made a net profit of over £7 million, and still had around half that amount left even after wiping out the previous year''s loss.  What concerns me more though is the implication that if a year in the Prem left us only half a million "better off", is promotion really worthwhile?  

He also has another bleat about agents.  Agents are like fleas in a dosshouse.  They''re parasites but they go with the territory.  Until the FA fumigates the place nothing''s going to change.  Neil, we don''t like it any more than you do, but it''s the same for every club so just get on with it.  

It''s a simple truth about modern that most clubs loan players now.  It''s not just City just about every team in this league had several loan signings during the course of last season. 

Even Chelsea took Maniche on loan last year and they have a squad worth hundreds of millions.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]

It''s a simple truth about modern that most clubs loan players now.  It''s not just City just about every team in this league had several loan signings during the course of last season. 

Even Chelsea took Maniche on loan last year and they have a squad worth hundreds of millions.

[/quote]I am not talking about the fact thatat the right times loan players can be useful. some of the responses have mentioned huckerby, crouch and harper. again apart from huckerby joining on a full time basis the others left. of course it''s easy once you get promotion to gloss over the fact that we have nothing to show for these players. No one has mentioned the large amount of failed loan signings. The serious amounts of money wasted on these players could have been invested in the likes of eastwood from southend ,who''m could have a year ago been bought for far less than these aged 30+ loan players. It''s about building for the future and taking a chance on buying young hungry players - something worthy has himself said many times, so why does he not listen to his own advice.