Sign in to follow this  
percyvarco

Not Ready

what is it with Worty''s obsession with signings not ever being upto our required levels of fitness?

The prem starts a week after the championship but our new signing isn''t fit enough as he has been pacing himself for peek condition 7 days later.

I can''t believe its that an exact science

[quote user="percyvarco"]

what is it with Worty''s obsession with signings not ever being upto our required levels of fitness?

The prem starts a week after the championship but our new signing isn''t fit enough as he has been pacing himself for peek condition 7 days later.

[/quote]

Six years ago when Worthy took over perhaps there were a lot of clubs (including ours) where many of its footballers were not at a peak level of fitness.  The game seems to have moved on since then and every club in the top 2 divisions demands peak fitness levels from its players.  When Ashton moved to West Ham their fans were saying - ''Give Ashton a chance to get to our fitness levels'' - The same tripe we here whenever a player is signed by Worthy.  It doesn''t mean anything anymore.  As for Lee Croft, well he has played a few pre-season games already for Manchester City, and should at least be fit enough for 70 minutes on Saturday...

[/quote]

According to the press report, Man City did not have him training flat out because he was likely to be sold and they didn''t want to risk injury.  Also there would be no point in picking him for friendlies if he was not going to feature.

[quote user="mystic megson"]

According to the press report, Man City did not have him training flat out because he was likely to be sold and they didn''t want to risk injury.  Also there would be no point in picking him for friendlies if he was not going to feature.

[/quote]

Croft did play 45 minutes against Wrexham and 77 minutes against Rochdale on the 19th and 22nd July respectively, he didnt play on the 26th or 29th July, probably as the transfer was in progresss.  I am not sure how much you can read into that - I would of thought if he was training he would have been training properly - until it was agreed that he would be sold.  Its anybodies guess - I don''t think much to all this mantra that comes out every time we sign a player about fitness etc etc...  COnsidering the number of training ground injuries we have supposedly had these last two years I am not sure this supposed fitness regime is doing any good anyway...

Paul Jewell has just said (on Sky Sports News) that Wigans latest pre season friendly was a good work out for his players as they were playing a Championship side who were two weeks ahead of them in fitness.

The Prem season kicks off on the 19th August, two weeks after the Champ Season.  This is to allow the World Cup players a little more time to rest.

I doubt very much that Croft is yet fit for a full game - a few friendlies and the odd substitute appearance over the last few years isn''t the best regime for a player we''re hoping will play most games of our season.

[/quote]

I think that the Premier League is starting 2 weeks after the Championship, not 1 - hence the reason for Paul Jewell''s comment too.