Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Who are your favourite commentators?

What would be your perfect commentary team?

My personaly favourite would be Jonothan Pearce as commentator with Mark Lawrenson as co-commentator.

I do not like John Motson as much as most people, his facts, stats and football history is a bit boring, where as Jonothan Pearce focusses more on what is happening in the stadium, such as analysing the coaching staff and atmosphere.

Mick McCarthy is not that great in my opinion either, i like Lawrenson simply because i think he has an accurate insight into games.

Barry Davies and Johnathan Peirce now that he doesnt Rant like an idiot like in his channel 5 days

jas :)

John Motson is a quality comentator,and agreed so are Jonathan Pearce and Mark Lawrenson but what i do hate with a passion is listening to Mick McCathey and David Pleat..............................

I think BBC should hire Andy Gray for the duration of world cups, mainly because of his extreme enthusiasm, and also, if anyone heard him when Gerrard scored in the champs league and the FA cup final, that is justification in itself!

My favourite commentator  [ I don`t know if he exists? ]  would be  one who knows  the name of all the players , informs listeners  who has the ball  during the game ,  and keeps the babble to the bare minimum !    they should remember that  its  NOT   their show .......

I think the BBC commentary is very painful to listen to:

You can always tell who''s winning a game just by the way the commentator praises every movement of the them.

When a big side play a small side (normally FA Cup) the big side often leave some of their best players on the bench. I want a pound for every time the commentator refers to the value of the bench V''s the opposing side and how when one or all of them come on after being one nil down, they are refered to as the ''big guns'' or ''the cavelry'' and how the other team should watch out now.

The amusing interpretations of players names that often develop throughout the course of the match. Good ones to look out for are Silvestre, Hienze and Solskjaer.

The world cup brings it''s own comical commentary. Keep a check sheet for the Germans and tick off every time you hear arrogant, efficient, 1966, Geoff Hurst and Russian linesman.

But no commentary can be worse than the one I fear most. The sound of this voice during the game often causes anger and means that I am watching in the wrong place. I call this enemy ''the wife''

Anyone but  ITV''s chief commentator - Clive Tyldesley (or Alan Brazil!).

His cringeworthingly-pre-planned-superdramatic-punchy-blockbuster speal everytime someone scores a goal is hideous. I almost couldn''t watch The Premiership when it was on ITV because of his unashamed love of everything Manchester United. Its not that he is trying to steal the show its that he wants to be the voice played everytime a clip of a certain goal is featured on television - he would die and go to heaven to re-enact the ''some people are on the pitch ... they think its all over...'' line at an England Final - the only difference is that 1966 was spontaneous Clive.

Alan Green and Mark Lawrenson for me everytime ... what a partnership. They can make any game entertaining!

OTBC

[quote user="sheded"]My favourite commentator  [ I don`t know if he exists? ]  would be  one who knows  the name of all the players , informs listeners  who has the ball  during the game ,  and keeps the babble to the bare minimum !    they should remember that  its  NOT   their show .......[/quote]

Kenneth Wolstenholme fitted the Bill

jas :)