Sign in to follow this  
koimatsuba

Do you think Ashton should be in the england squad?

He''s playing well for west ham.

He''s in a FA cup final.

He''s proven in the prem.

I''d rather take Deano and Marlon Herewood as a partnership, than an unfit rooney and an ''looking old and slow, not sharp'' owen.

IMO anyway.

And no I don''t support West Ham! Just think that the way they have attcked the Prem this year and played in the cup, is how we should have played in the Prem. Rather than thinking like worthy and Mick Mcarthy did. -''we''ll enjoy it while were here'' poor attitude.

Any thoughts, cheers all and well done Greeno!!!

Not really, don''t think he is as good an option as either Defoe or Bent. And I''m actually pretty pleased with Walcott''s inclusion - hopefully it could be an inspired selection. 

[quote user="koimatsuba"]

He''s playing well for west ham.

He''s in a FA cup final.

He''s proven in the prem.

I''d rather take Deano and Marlon Herewood as a partnership, than an unfit rooney and an ''looking old and slow, not sharp'' owen.

IMO anyway.

And no I don''t support West Ham! Just think that the way they have attcked the Prem this year and played in the cup, is how we should have played in the Prem. Rather than thinking like worthy and Mick Mcarthy did. -''we''ll enjoy it while were here'' poor attitude.

Any thoughts, cheers all and well done Greeno!!!

[/quote]

Sorry Koimatsuba, I''m feeling a tad spiteful today mate, no, I don''t think he should be in the England team. His leaving City, still ranckels me, I still think he ''played'' us for his spammers move.

So again, no, I can''t wish him well.

No, I don''t think he should be included.

There are players with England caps such as Defoe ahead of him in the cue who we know can do the job and have had the experience of playing for their country.

We don''t know what Ashton will do in an England shirt. That''s the point of the friendly games, to find out if players can cut it. Which is also why I don''t think Walcott should go. It''s a bit late now to be experimenting with prospects.

That''s not to say either shouldn''t ever play for England because I think they will, given the right development in non competetive matches.

Whether or not he is better than Bent or Defoe is beside the point.  With it looking unlikely that Rooney will be fit, Ashton should at least have been considered.  Owen, Defoe and Walcott are all small, quick strikers and if Owen is replaced during a game he will be replaced with a similar player.  This means it will be difficult to change the style of play during a game and Ashton or someone like Heskey/Beattie would have represented a different option.

No, I wouldn''t take Ashton - certainly not in front of the other options that are being left behind.

I think he''s looked pretty ordinary at West Ham since he moved, even just against West Ham''s other strikers.

I would not have him as first choice, but I would definitely have him on the standby list rather than Andy "Puff of wind" Johnson.

SaintCanary has it spot on - ALMOST.

The problem with Defoe/Bent/Owen/Walcott/Johnson is that they are all small nippy goal scorers ... Crouch may be in the squad but you need a little variety and I think Ashton would have been a better bet than Walcott - strong, scored goals in the Premier League over two seasons, young, hungry, dedicated etc etc.

Where you are wrong SC is in your daring to even mention Emile Heskey. NEVER let me see his name in the same sentence as the word ''England''  (other than in a list of the ''worst ever...'') ever again.

OTBC 

I think he''s a better choice than Walcott, but then there are better choices than Ashton. I''d rather have Darren Bent or Jermain Defoe. I was shocked to see Bent overlooked altogether he deserves to go after such a good season and scoring the most goals this season in the Premiership.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]I would not have him as first choice, but I would definitely have him on the standby list rather than Andy "Puff of wind" Johnson.[/quote]

We would be more likely to get a penalty with Johnson playing!