We never started well and never recovered. This is how these players pretty much started the season or their NCFC careers, or at the very least was the state they found themselves in within the first few games of the season..

Marney: Injured, long term.

Louis-Jean: Injured, long term.

Thorne: Injured, never regained full fitness.

Safri: Injured too often.

McKenzie: Injured, long term.

Shackell: Injured, long term.

Ashton: Carrying injuries.

Hughes: Injured just as he was getting going, which can''t have helped a player of his limits.

Jarvis: Injured, long term.

Hucks: Carrying injuries.

Charlton/Fleming: Lost that special ''yard'' they used to have through age.

Etuhu: Unfit

Jarrett: Didn''t settle, got injured, didn''t settle again and was never really given a chance by fans or management. Showed potential though (however fleeting). Unfair to judge him on so few starts.

Is it any wonder we didn''t do well? In an ideal world, I reckon Worthy had high hopes for a Safri/Jarrett midfield, which I think we shared for a while. I''m not sure they ever really got to play together, so we''ll never know if it would have worked, but based on the player Jarrett can be, it could have done.

Hughes, I''m willing to bet, was bought for those horrible February mid-week games away in some hole of a ground where a real battler is needed when Safri doesn''t fancy it. Hughes ended up filling too many roles and we have probably seen the last of him, not knowing what he could have brought to the team. Granted, it might not have been much but it is unfair to judge him harshly when he''s not really been allowed to settle into any particular role. People baulk at his transfer fee but remember we had just earnt £25m, and other teams wanted some of it.

Because of the injuries, we had to rely on people who could ''do a job'', which brought down the team''s skill rate which in turn made it difficult for those with more ability to fit back into the side. By the time we had any semblance of a side with skill, we had been fire-fighting for so long the regulars had forgotten how to pass the ball. Coupled with the understandable anxiety on the terraces, it made for pretty desperate football at times.

Whatever one thinks about Worthington, I don''t see how we could ever recover from such a bad start with such a small squad. With no transfer window open, we were at the mercy of our ''jobbers''. We should have spent more money at Christmas, but perhaps we would have had to sell Ashton for less money to do so. We probably made another £2m by holding out for so long.

The important thing is that Worthy and, crucially, the board, must have some guts this summer and buy big. That means both good, experienced players and young, highly talented potentials. The squad must be bigger, and it must contain people with more skill. There MUST be a signing who is an inspiration to the players, as Hucks was when he arrived, whether he be a Sheringham-type figure or someone who can mesmerise. We have one of the best playing surfaces in the land, so there is no excuse not to have eleven skillful players on the pitch when we are at home. Stick a jobber on the bench and let him loose on unsuspecting midfielders away from home when it''s shafting it with rain.

Most of all, bring some tactics back to the team. We''ve looked clueless all season. Whether you like Worthy or not, we have always had some kind of game plan which has worked, but this season we looked lost. Drury said ''something''s not right'' a few games ago, but we were all saying that in September. Let''s sort that out and start winning again. Please.

An interesting post Juan and shows just how unlucky we have been with injuries, something we were lucky with in our championship winning season.  I honestly think that Worthington would have faired better this season had inuries been kinder but that said I think he was finally found out this season to be tactically inept.Worthington this season reminds me of Kevin Keegan at Man City and England shortly before he was sacked.  By Christmas he has run out of ideas, whether this was because of injuries is not important in my opinion.  He deserves credit for the improvement toward the end of the season but it was too little too late.  The club (behind the scenes) has gone stale and the dead wood (Worthy, Hughes, Thorne, Henderson, Colin, MLJ etc.) all need to go ASAP so that this club can get back to the promised land.  Wolves are proof of how once stale, a club cannot improve.  Hoddle will go in the summer and I fully expect them to compete for the playoffs next season.

It''s also worth adding that the injuries came on top of the smallest squad in the Championship.  If we''d had an adequate squad IMO we would probably have made top six even with the same list of injuries.    

The club HAS gone stale, but in my view that emanates from the boardroom.  The same five directors have been in place for ten years and the Chief Executive since 1997.  They''re the ones who badly need fresh impetus.  They are the ones who really control the club, the manager is in charge of what they refer to as "the football side", just as Shaun O''Hara is in charge of the financial side.  As Ian Gibson MP pointed out last week, Nigel Worthington is not his own boss, he carries out the board''s policy.

I had quite a bit of correspondence with the board just before Christmas.  In a nutshell, I had the distinct impression they were proceeding on the basis that what worked so well in 2003/4 would work again.  In particular I did not feel they had woken up to the implications of the transfer window, which of course was not in operation then. 

I''m not advocating a "sack the board" approach, but I sincerely hope that what''s happened since Christmas has taught them a lesson they will never forget.  We shall see.  Even with a more dynamic approach, IMO it will take us at least 12 to 18 months to make up lost ground.   

ah excuse time again, still doesnt explain the left bakcs in midfield or strikers at right wing, or poor results with a fully fit squad. 

However as far as Jarrett goes, the rumours are of a training ground bust up - hence being sent on loan in the middle of an injury crisis.

Worthy out before we sign any more andy hugheses

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

ah excuse time again, still doesnt explain the left bakcs in midfield or strikers at right wing, or poor results with a fully fit squad. 

However as far as Jarrett goes, the rumours are of a training ground bust up - hence being sent on loan in the middle of an injury crisis.

Worthy out before we sign any more andy hugheses

[/quote]LBs in midfield and strikers at RW could just possibly have something to do with the size of the squad.  I may be mistaken, however.

[quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Worthy out before we sign any more andy hughes''s

[/quote]LBs in midfield and strikers at RW could just possibly have something to do with the size of the squad.  I may be mistaken, however.

[/quote]

simon charlton played in midfield with a fully fit squad.....  Jim Brennan preferred to youth at center midfield a couple of times even tho he was awful there...  Micky Spillane has shown youth can do a good job when required, maybe not over a whole season but certainly for the odd game, rossi jarvis impressed when brought on for brennan.  jarrett was on loan at the time after rumoured training ground bustup. Simon Charlton has even played Left Wing!!!  Left Wing for gods sake!!!  Charlie,  Left Wing!!! it beggars belief.

we had one right winger - dean marney, just as bentley got injured last year marney got injured this year.... thats whats called lessons learned.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

simon charlton played in midfield with a fully fit squad.....  Jim Brennan preferred to youth at center midfield a couple of times even tho he was awful there...  Micky Spillane has shown youth can do a good job when required, maybe not over a whole season but certainly for the odd game, rossi jarvis impressed when brought on for brennan.  jarrett was on loan at the time after rumoured training ground bustup. Simon Charlton has even played Left Wing!!!  Left Wing for gods sake!!!  Charlie,  Left Wing!!! it beggars belief.

we had one right winger - dean marney, just as bentley got injured last year marney got injured this year.... thats whats called lessons learned.

[/quote]The point you miss is that Mystic Megson is saying is it really Worthingtons fault that at the start of the season we only had one out and out right winger? Or one left midfield player?When you refer to Charlton being played as a central midfielder I smile because that is debatedly where his best performances were this season. Playing just infront of the back four as a sweeper. We won away at Sheff Utd with him in that role. Now that may have been lucky or whatever you want to call it but it was good tactics by Worthington. I think the one thing Charlie had that maybe the others didnt is that passion and commitment and perhaps drive to lift the team.And at no point this season has the squad ever been fully fit!!!!! At that point in time we had McKenzie, Jarvis, Etuhu (I think), Shackell all and Luis-Jean all out with injuries. So please please please think about what you are saying!

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The point you miss is that Mystic Megson is saying is it really Worthingtons fault that at the start of the season we only had one out and out right winger? Or one left midfield player?

When you refer to Charlton being played as a central midfielder I smile because that is debatedly where his best performances were this season. Playing just infront of the back four as a sweeper. We won away at Sheff Utd with him in that role. Now that may have been lucky or whatever you want to call it but it was good tactics by Worthington. I think the one thing Charlie had that maybe the others didnt is that passion and commitment and perhaps drive to lift the team.

And at no point this season has the squad ever been fully fit!!!!! At that point in time we had McKenzie, Jarvis, Etuhu (I think), Shackell all and Luis-Jean all out with injuries. So please please please think about what you are saying!
[/quote]

it is also where his worst performances were also, not being a midfielder at all.  and the game I was talking about was BURNLEY AWAY.  SAFRI FIT (he said so in the presss) AND BENCHED, ETUHU FIT and BENCHED, ROSSI JARVIS NOT IN THE LINEUP,  CHARLIE STARTED CENTRAL MIDFIELD

Looks a pretty fit first team to me to me bar the season long injuries............................

NORWICH CITY:
Green; Fleming, Shackell, Doherty, Drury; Johansson, Hughes, Charlton, Robinson, Huckerby; McKenzie (4-5-1)
Subs: Earnshaw (for Drury, 36), Safri (for Charlton, 60), Henderson (for Johansson, 68), Etuhu, Gallacher

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="mystic megson"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]The point you miss is that Mystic Megson is saying is it really Worthingtons fault that at the start of the season we only had one out and out right winger? Or one left midfield player?When you refer to Charlton being played as a central midfielder I smile because that is debatedly where his best performances were this season. Playing just infront of the back four as a sweeper. We won away at Sheff Utd with him in that role. Now that may have been lucky or whatever you want to call it but it was good tactics by Worthington. I think the one thing Charlie had that maybe the others didnt is that passion and commitment and perhaps drive to lift the team.And at no point this season has the squad ever been fully fit!!!!! At that point in time we had McKenzie, Jarvis, Etuhu (I think), Shackell all and Luis-Jean all out with injuries. So please please please think about what you are saying![/quote]I agree with most of what you''re saying Chicken. The one thing that strikes me as quite odd is that some people on this board blame *EVERYTHING* on Worthington. Whilst I''m not a fan of his myself, anybody can see that there are other factors which have also contributed to this poor season; mainly the size of the squad and the lack of money made available to strengthen it. It''s a case of never giving credit where it''s due, as far as I can see.