Sign in to follow this  
Wimbledoncanary

End of season clearance

I think it very much does depend on what league we are in and who the Head Coach is.

It doesn't bode well we failed to strengthen the squad in January and that was when we were on the cusp of the play-offs.

We've feared players leaving before but it hasn't happened in large numbers but then we weren't carrying as much debt.

Impossible ro call at this stage.

7 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Leicester keeper made the team of the season, I doubt Gunn would oust him. 

Yes but Danny Ward makes Michael McGovern look good, their fans hate him and he was a large part the reason why they got relegated, so I should imagine signing him some strong competition would be quite high up on their agenda. Only other keeper they have is a 23 year old who was last seen out on loan in the National League.

There was something in the way that Maresca made a beeline straight to Gunn for an in depth conversation and lots of smiles which made me feel uneasy. I wondered if he could simply wanted to reminisce about playing against his old man, but Gunn moved to hibs before Maresca had kicked a ball in senior football for West Brom.

Just now, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Yes but Danny Ward makes Michael McGovern look good, their fans hate him and he was a large part the reason why they got relegated, so I should imagine signing him some strong competition would be quite high up on their agenda. Only other keeper they have is a 23 year old who was last seen out on loan in the National League.

There was something in the way that Maresca made a beeline straight to Gunn for an in depth conversation and lots of smiles which made me feel uneasy. I wondered if he could simply wanted to reminisce about playing against his old man, but Gunn moved to hibs before Maresca had kicked a ball in senior football for West Brom.

Agree Ward was dreadful. I'm just unsure they'd strengthen by signing someone else who has really struggled in the Premier League. 

7 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'd imagine we'd be looking for £8m+ for Gunn. I just don't see Celtic spending that kind of money on a keeper. 

You could be right, although Celtic have £72m in cash reserves and spent £15m on Jota so it wouldn't threaten their transfer record.

1 hour ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

We dont know how ruthless Knapper is in negotiations. Webber generally got good money.

Why do people think Springett is done?

Game time at Northampton's not looking promising. He might not necessarily be "done", but he's got a lot of ground to make up, and he's not in his teens.

11 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Except Mads Hermansen was the goalie of the season. Not Danny Ward.

Champ_TOTS_EFL.png

On 15/04/2024 at 15:59, Grumpy said:

Off the top of my head apart from Murphy,Maddison and Buendia I cant think of anyone we have sold recently who has enhanced their reputation.Their bank balance maybe
Even Skipp is struggling to make the team (I know we didnt sell him but he illustrates my point).

Yes I  my wildest c and skipp back at a club that will play him every game. 

Thought a bit of controversy would be good . In the current set up and cash needed if still in the champs the obvious sale is Johnny Rowe?

OK have my patriot missiles available. Wait for the reaction !!!

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Except Mads Hermansen was the goalie of the season. Not Danny Ward.

Champ_TOTS_EFL.png

Yes, which is why I said signing some strong competition for him might be high on their agenda and why I said their only other keeper is a 23 year old who last played in the National League??

Danny Ward isn't fit to be a Premier League number 2, even Luton sign a good number 2 these days! 

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe