Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Just stop oil; off to jail

18 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I have sympathy with the cause, because nobody else gives a ****.

Whether they're going the right way about,who knows, it doesn't or hasn't affected me yet.

I sympathise as well but I'm baffled by the approach taken by Just Stop Oil. 

We create 1% of the world's carbon emissions. Even taking that to zero would do nothing to solve the problem. 

The culprits are China, America, India, Russia and Japan. And of course on a worldwide level, airlines and shipping. Why don't they target those countries by going after the airports and ports? Or target American and Chinese companies? 

I know their actions draw attention to the problem but they are playing into the hands of the people that dislike them. 

PS taking them to court won't stop them. They couldn't care less. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I sympathise as well but I'm baffled by the approach taken by Just Stop Oil. 

We create 1% of the world's carbon emissions. Even taking that to zero would do nothing to solve the problem. 

The culprits are China, America, India, Russia and Japan. And of course on a worldwide level, airlines and shipping. Why don't they target those countries by going after the airports and ports? Or target American and Chinese companies? 

I know their actions draw attention to the problem but they are playing into the hands of the people that dislike them. 

PS taking them to court won't stop them. They couldn't care less. 

Exactly. Britain has done more than most to reduce its emissions over the last 30 years. If they want to make a difference go and protest in China, see how far they get. Or if they’re not that brave at least go and protest in Germany seeing as they’ve started burning the dirty coal again 

31 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Exactly. Britain has done more than most to reduce its emissions over the last 30 years. If they want to make a difference go and protest in China, see how far they get. Or if they’re not that brave at least go and protest in Germany seeing as they’ve started burning the dirty coal again 

I'm not suggesting they go to China. I'm suggesting they protest at the ports where the ships arrive containing Chinese cr*p

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I'm not suggesting they go to China. I'm suggesting they protest at the ports where the ships arrive containing Chinese cr*p

Doesn’t look as good on their Instagram though does it.

They’re probably professional protestors anyway, you’ll see them next week at the Assange and Palestine protests as well 

25 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

They’re probably professional protestors anyway, you’ll see them next week at the Assange and Palestine protests as well 

What an extraordinarily sweeping statement! 

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Not really, it’s always either Tarquin, Tabatha and Sebastian taking a break from their social studies uni course, getting bailed out by the money Daddy had in their trust fund, or wealthy retirees with too much time on their hands who don’t want new houses built in case it spoils the view from their kitchen window 

8 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

Not really, it’s always either Tarquin, Tabatha and Sebastian taking a break from their social studies uni course, getting bailed out by the money Daddy had in their trust fund, or wealthy retirees with too much time on their hands who don’t want new houses built in case it spoils the view from their kitchen window 

For goodness sake. Put down the Daily Mail and try to think for yourself. 

Just now, dylanisabaddog said:

For goodness sake. Put down the Daily Mail and try to think for yourself. 

I’ve never read the Mail, but I see you’re as bad as me for labels and stereotypes 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I’ve never read the Mail, but I see you’re as bad as me for labels and stereotypes 

You're the easiest person to label imagineable. It usually reads like a front page Mail article. 

Try to remember a quote from Mark Twain. 

"It's not what you don't know that will get you. It's what you know for certain that simply isn't so". 

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

Whatever you do don't point out the founder of just stop oils mother is an oil heiress and all her money she's leeched from her family she gained from the oil industry

33 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Sweeping, but almost certainly with more than a touch of truth to it.  Without doubt there are many hobbyist activists on the left who like nothing better than a good day out protesting on a Saturday.  The cause isn’t that important so long as it’s “progressive”.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Whatever you do don't point out the founder of just stop oils mother is an oil heiress and all her money she's leeched from her family she gained from the oil industry

An absolutely ridiculous statement. She can hardly be responsible for the actions of her family.