Sign in to follow this  
yellowrider120

Messiah poised to return!

No, sorry, not 'that one' but one G Hanley according to Wagner.

Grant Hanley is close for team training, which is an absolutely mega boost for everyone,” said the German.

Now we all wish (and have wished) 'the skipper' the very best in rehabilitation following that horrendous injury but what exactly makes his return an 'absolutely mega boost'?? It's not as if we're talking about a 25+ goal a season striker is it! Hanley is another aged, slow and error prone centre half. Sure he will 'put his body on the line' but he will simply be a chip off the old Duffer, Gibson conveyor belt. While we're talking centre halves, one can only imagine what D Baath thinks of it so far. Condemned to sitting on the bench and shortly to see this amazing centre half jump ahead of him in the queue!  

If Hanley is the answer to our prayers, one wonders precisely what the question was!

• Haha 1

For all his faults (in my eyes at least) I don't think you can accuse Hanley of a lack of pace.  At least pre-injury.  Many other things, but he isn't as slow as the other three senior options.

Just now, Barham Blitz said:

For all his faults (in my eyes at least) I don't think you can accuse Hanley of a lack of pace.  At least pre-injury.  Many other things, but he isn't as slow as the other three senior options.

Well pre injury pretty sure it's been said that statisticly Hanley was one of the fastest players in our team.

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well pre injury pretty sure it's been said that statisticly Hanley was one of the fastest players in our team.

In a straight sprint which is what you refer to I imagine then that's true. Problem is centre halves can get exposed for lack of pace 'on the turn' and that is where (in my humble opinion of course) he has been and will be found wanting.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

In a straight sprint which is what you refer to I imagine then that's true. Problem is centre halves can get exposed for lack of pace 'on the turn' and that is where (in my humble opinion of course) he has been and will be found wanting.

It is said of some players that the first yard is in their head.  With Hanley, that first yard often seems to be inside somebody else's head which is why what you say is absolutely true...  Quick in a straight line but often turned or indeed out of position in the first place. 

I'm not a particular fan for a number of reasons but we could really do with some pace back there if only to be able to play a higher line than we are able to currently given the somewhat scattergun approach to covering the middle of the park.  Personally I'd like to see Warner given some more minutes.  He is only going to learn through playing.  

Edited by Barham Blitz

Who needs options when the manager prefers a settled consistent cb pairing ..

1 hour ago, yellowrider120 said:

Problem is centre halves get exposed for lack of pace 'on the turn'

I think that applies to all four of the experienced cb options doesn't it?  We have 4 error strewn super tankers on the turn who are slow using the ball and only Gibson who, nowadays only occasionally, can make a progressive pass rather than a hail mary aimless long ball.  Together with a soft midfield it explains why we are conceding even more shots and goals per game than our last two defensively calamitous Prem seasons.