The Raptor

Edinburgh

Anyone been and got any suggestions for cool stuff to do? I'm heading up there in a few weeks. Already got the zoo, castle, royal yacht, lego shop pencilled in. Possibly a day trip out to the Highlands as well.

Stopping off for the Sunderland game on the way back so want to have a great holiday first In case the games ****e!

It's a great city. The Whisky tasting museum by the castle is very good. A couple of good walks. One a guided walk around the main part and one based on the books of Rebus, if you like that sort of thing.

The City Cafe on Blair Street if you need a very good breakfast or other food.

• Like 1

Not my city so don't know so much the places. Anyway...

Not so much the weather now, but Portobello east of the city is a big expansive beach. Walks outside of exploring the city, you have the water of leith, Dean village, theres going up Arthurs Seat for a short hike and a great view. That starts from outside the Scottish Parliment and Holyrood Palace, but one of the paths up is closed due to rock falls so you take the other one. It's a real shame tbh as that path stands out from the ground level. There is also calton hill for a view, but not even close to arthurs seat

Tourist stuff. They do underground tours of old covered over streets and there is the Christmas shops and since you have the zoo penciled in a reminder to be there for Penguin Parade. St.Giles on the royal mile

Snack - Piemaker on southbridge, Union of Genius(Soup,Forret Road-It's small), Oink-Pork Sandwich(Victoria st)

Edinburgh Gin & Rum Festival
14th October 2023, Assembly Rooms, 54 George Street Edinburgh EH2 2LR

Edinburgh’s Whisky Festival 2023
14th October 2023, BT Murrayfield Stadium, EH12 5P

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Like 1

Cheers for the suggestions.  I'm there after the alcohol festivals unfortunately but I've been given a list of must go to pubs tho! 

I've also been told I'm not going to 'proper scotland' but just tourist rubbish! He lived in Glasgow for 10 years so he's a bit biased. And half joking at least I hope!

Also I've discovered that there's a different half term to here up there which means less kids about which Is a bonus!

16 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I've also been told I'm not going to 'proper scotland' but just tourist rubbish! He lived in Glasgow for 10 years so he's a bit biased. And half joking at least I hope!

Most international visitors to Scotland do Edinburgh and Skye which is a pretty nice impression for the country to have in my opinion.

Of course being a Norwich fan perhaps you want to visit Bellshill and tread the haunts of Alex Neil.

Never been to Scotland. You can drive or ghet a train but never been. Been to the five main continents and some obscure places but not Edinburgh.

On 28/09/2023 at 15:29, The Raptor said:

Possibly a day trip out to the Highlands as well.

For a day trip your best bet is to drive from Edinburgh to Perth and then carry on the A9 towards Inverness, you hit the Southern Highlands pretty quickly after Dunkeld and the Drumochter Pass gives you an idea of scale. If you carry on to Aviemore you'll hit the high Cairngorms where (if its running) you can take the train up Cairngorm Mountain to over 3000 ft (and there's plenty to do down in the village). The road up to the railway carpark gives great views too.

Glencoe and north/west Highlands are more iconic/impressive/pointy, but would be a real ballache of a drive from Edinburgh in a day!

Apples