Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

Proposal - Tidal Barrier Across The Wash

They have been tried before around the UK. I have no idea what the conclusions were. As for the Wash, I don't know what the tides are like and how strong. I remember going to Holkham years ago and having to walk out wha tseemed miles before getting to the water's edge. If it comes back in rapidly then it might work.

I suppose the Waveney is not really wide enough for a barrier😏

Seems like this idea has been around for a good number of years. The latest proposal emerged late last year.

The potential developer is claiming better access to the east and west midlands than ports such as Felixstowe, but the current road links to those areas from Gibraltar Point are not good. There are proposals for new rail links to the east west mainline, but that doesn't really help with access to the Midlands.

There is a claim that access from SE Lincolnshire to  NW Norfolk will be cut from 2.5 hours to 20 minutes. I'm not sure of the need for this  but given that the port would need road access regardless, this might not be a major point 

The potential developer claims better environmental conditions; environmentalists claim otherwise 

I am all in favour of green energy, but as it stands, I would need more convincing that this scheme has potential, though I think it unlikely to happen in the near future anyway 

Scheme is inevitable simply because of sea level rise. Sooner or later we'll need new sea defence else Cambridge can become a port.

15 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

Scheme is inevitable simply because of sea level rise. Sooner or later we'll need new sea defence else Cambridge can become a port.

Just get rid of all the Whales and Dolphins. Then the seas level will drop and Norfolk saved.

• Haha 1