cambridgeshire canary

Pink'Un reporting that Ashley Barnes deal done

Why is he not injured?  Played in their last game.  It is almost mandatory for new signings to be injured.  Guess plenty of time before season starts for Ashley to get a serious long term injury.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Exactly this.

If we end up with 5 or 6 players in their 30's on freebies then I'd raise an eyebrow. But we've also been linked with Cashin from Derby (in his early 20's) a winger from France who is 25 and a 19 year old fullback. So it sounds like Barnes in the exception rather than a new strategy.

I think we're basically at capacity for players over 30 now anyway. There's 2 30+ players at CB, 1 in midfield, 1 winger and with Barnes there will be a striker too. All of them but Gibson are contracted to 2025 as well. If we start adding more than that I'd be a bit concerned.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

To be fair Gibson was 27 and Hanley was 25 (which amazed me when I just googled it) when they signed, so not quite comparable to a 33, soon to be 34 year old. 

It is undoubtedly a bit of a departure from our norm but I think it's a welcome one to be honest.

Doesn't help that Hanley has looked 35 since he turned 19

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah but if he's lucky he'll be one of those who still look 35 when he's 50.

Also this discussion is making me feel very old. We're arguing about players who are all younger than me. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Caught this earlier and thought he looked quite younger than normal funnily enough...

Probably being part of the squad that ages him.  hehe

• Haha 1