Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

If serious about being a top 24 club

This is how much needs doing if we are serious about competing for promotion. 

GK: sell TK too expensive as back up. Keep Gunn get a cheap young back up. 

LB: Gianoullis - sell, technically good but mentally flaky. Keep Sam Mac as back up sign first team LB

CB: Send Tomkinson on loan. Sell Gibson. Keep big Andy and Hanley as back up - sign two first team CB 

RB: ideally keep Aarons but he is off. So that means keeping Mumba and sign a RB

CDM: Keep Sorenson/Gibbs as backup sign really good CDM if not two 

CM: keep Kenny, Sara and Nunez and Gibbs 

Wingers: sell Tzolis, send Rowe out on loan, keep Onel as back up. Need 2 first team quality wingers (Sarge isn’t one nor is idah) 

strikers: get idah out on loan to L2. Keep Sarge. Sign 1 major goal scorer and one back up (not a 33 yr old journeyman looking for nice semi- retirement gig) 

Clearly that is far too much for one window and we lack funds to do it. So let’s be honest - club is gearing up for mediocre champs future - we will draft in frees and journeymen and shift on wages. I fear the ambition is gone unless MA is going to splash the cash which doesn’t seem his style. What a grim situation- miles away from where we were even 18 months ago 

• Like 1

You’re still jumping the gun there…. Need to assess the quality of our scouting and recruitment team first , and probably clear that out….. get some people in that know a player and then, then perhaps we can think about spending some more or signing new players.     With this current arrangement, there seems no point I talking about the players we need.    And even then it’s 3 CDMs first!

• Like 1

Agree Ged. But what last ten games make clear is that we now only have a tiny handful of top half champs players. Then a few also tabs and quite a few who are really L1/L2 quality 

2 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Why keep Omobamidele and Gibbs as back up? What is the point?

We need to play them both.

This. Although I'm not yet sold on Gibbs. Andy O should be the first name on the teamsheet next season.

I don’t necessarily think it’s new signing that will define next season apart from the obvious need for a defensive midfield player.

What needs to happen is a large number of the current squad need to move from potential or “yeah there is a player in there” or alternatively going from inconsistent to consistent performer to actually producing consistently on the pitch at a high level.

Gibbs, Andy O, Nunez, Idah, Placheta, McCallum, Tzolis, Mumba, Hernandez, Sorenson are all players who could potentially have more ability or consistency in their locker. If 3 or 4 of them could find it it would be transform the team.

11 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Agree Ged. But what last ten games make clear is that we now only have a tiny handful of top half champs players. Then a few also tabs and quite a few who are really L1/L2 quality 

I dont agree!    I told everyone last May that this squad wasn’t anywhere near good enough.    We are in a rut and it seems this guy Wagner hasn’t got the wherewithal and he certainly hasn’t got the  club infrastructure to succeed.   It’s a big mess right now and there’s nothing to suggest things will improve for the better!