Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Team of the week..

Hmm, two Burnley defenders, one wide midfielder and their manager? I wouldn't say we were spanked, just found out! This graphic suggests a negative approach, their defence worked hard to nullify us, with one of their players providing a ready outlet to provide an escape from relentless pressure. The absence of a Norwich player rightfully suggests we found no answers.

If we had been spanked you would expect to see their central midfielders and attacking players in there. Their absence suggests, as it was, our own shortcomings that came up short not Burnley's creativity.

We gave them the game on a plate, they are no better than Dyche era Burnley before them. Would you want to watch them week in, week out, a team that did not make one clear chance from open play all match? 

#percentagefootball #getthejobdone #bullies

They were very defensively solid, but of course it shouldn't have been 3-0 and they didn't create the chances to make that happen (normally).

• Like 1

On 08/02/2023 at 11:30, shefcanary said:

We gave them the game on a plate, they are no better than Dyche era Burnley before them. Would you want to watch them week in, week out, a team that did not make one clear chance from open play all match? 

Yes, I would.  Burnley aren't yet at the stage where we complain about the manner of a comfortable 3-0 win away to a play-off team that is in prime form and scoring loads of goals with a new manager.  

Nor would you be.  If you went to Middlesbrough, for example, and dominated possession, restricted them to just one chance, and won the game 3-0, would you come away thinking "I wouldn't watch this every week"?  Hardly.

9 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Yes, I would.  Burnley aren't yet at the stage where we complain about the manner of a comfortable 3-0 win away to a play-off team that is in prime form and scoring loads of goals with a new manager.  

Nor would you be.  If you went to Middlesbrough, for example, and dominated possession, restricted them to just one chance, and won the game 3-0, would you come away thinking "I wouldn't watch this every week"?  Hardly.

You commented on the Statistical Domination thread so hopefully saw the flavour of our support there. In short at one stage when we were in the Top 2 there were plenty of people commenting that the football we had dished out was **** despite the league position, and they were seriously contemplating not going to the next game. Most were just hoping upon hope that the team would start playing football.

So in short we are a funny lot in Norfolk, and we prefer to watch a modicum of attractive football not a bunch of well honed and disciplined "thugs" (no disrespect intended but it is the best expression I can come up with of Burnley's approach to the game on Saturday). I was extremely disappointed that this was the approach taken by Kompany, who I thought was better than that.

It's all about opinions at the end of the day, but mark my words, yes you will get promoted this season but I hope for your sakes Kompany gets some money to buy some decent creative players. All the best.

I think Burnley fans still love the EPL and rightly so because they have generally been competitive in it, whatever your opinions about their style of play, and under Kompany it is likely they will be again. He knows that league and what you have to do.

Norwich fans have a different view, and a difficult one for others to understand. We want to get promoted, because why wouldn't you? But we don't want to play in the EPL if survival means watching rubbish football, which it does for any club who don't have £300m to spend every season. So the likelihood is that we will get spanked again, even if we go up.

I just spent some time on a ship with a few Burnley fans. Nice people, but when I asked them what was the point in them being in the EPL they couldn't really answer. It just is. And that's the problem - until we finally get some kind of European Super League, it is completely pointless being in the EPL.

13 hours ago, shefcanary said:

You commented on the Statistical Domination thread so hopefully saw the flavour of our support there. In short at one stage when we were in the Top 2 there were plenty of people commenting that the football we had dished out was **** despite the league position, and they were seriously contemplating not going to the next game. Most were just hoping upon hope that the team would start playing football.

So in short we are a funny lot in Norfolk, and we prefer to watch a modicum of attractive football not a bunch of well honed and disciplined "thugs" (no disrespect intended but it is the best expression I can come up with of Burnley's approach to the game on Saturday). I was extremely disappointed that this was the approach taken by Kompany, who I thought was better than that.

It's all about opinions at the end of the day, but mark my words, yes you will get promoted this season but I hope for your sakes Kompany gets some money to buy some decent creative players. All the best.

We normally play a lot better than that.  We were missing our most creative centre half (Harwood-Bellis), our midfield engine room (Cork), our regular centre forward (Rodriguez), and our best winger (Benson).  Plus Peacock-Farrell in goal has nothing like the ball playing skills of Muric.  Fortunately we didn't need to be as good as you would have liked us to be.

Of course you're being disrespectful (as well as inaccurate) calling us thugs.  It's fatuous and pointless to pretend you're not being insulting when you clearly are.  By all means be insulting if that's what you want to say, but no need to pretend you aren't being.

How many bookings for Norwich?  😉

10 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

We normally play a lot better than that.  We were missing our most creative centre half (Harwood-Bellis), our midfield engine room (Cork), our regular centre forward (Rodriguez), and our best winger (Benson).  Plus Peacock-Farrell in goal has nothing like the ball playing skills of Muric.  Fortunately we didn't need to be as good as you would have liked us to be.

Of course you're being disrespectful (as well as inaccurate) calling us thugs.  It's fatuous and pointless to pretend you're not being insulting when you clearly are.  By all means be insulting if that's what you want to say, but no need to pretend you aren't being.

How many bookings for Norwich?  😉

TBF not all are thugs, but that Barnes ...? 😀