Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Jerry Lee Lewis no more shakin goin on.

Since I bought a piano 5 years ago (had one in the house growing up and I've played more off than on since) there have been two songs that I've really wanted to nail. Great balls of fire being one of them. I can manage each hand on its own at about 90% tempo now but together? Not a chance! He made it look so easy. Legend is overused but he was certainly one of them.

I find it hard to have sympathy, he married his underage cousin and also subjected her to abuse, he also forced the parents into the marriage.

Its just like when James Brown died; he used to physically abuse his girlfriend senseless, but like Jerry Lee he was seen as a legend when he died. Same with Chuck Berry all despite the fact he took underage children over state lines.

I bet when Steve Tyler of Aerosmith dies it will be the same outpouring of grief, all despite the fact he dated a 14 year old and got the parents to sign her guardianship over to him.

Goodness gracious, great fools and liars.

Edited by KernowCanary
  • Like 1

If Jon Lydon and Liam Gallagher think they are rock and roll rebels then they need to read history. This guy was the biggest siht ever to hit R&R but he was popular primarily because of two songs. And a white man playing black man's music.

Never much of a fan as I preferred Chuck Berry, another rogue.

46 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

If Jon Lydon and Liam Gallagher think they are rock and roll rebels then they need to read history. This guy was the biggest siht ever to hit R&R but he was popular primarily because of two songs. And a white man playing black man's music.

Never much of a fan as I preferred Chuck Berry, another rogue.

I have a lovely story about Chuck Berry.

One of my relatives in the North West used to be on the Maryport Blues Festival committee, for such a small town they were very ambitious with their headliners and one year they booked Chuck Berry. My cousin volunteered to be the liasion with Chuck, he was going to act as his driver and make sure that he was looked after.

First thing was to pick him up at Manchester airport, when they got to the car Chuck wanted to drive, my cousin had been tipped off by CB's management that he was banned from driving so he had to tell him he couldn't and he would have to sit in the back. CB said he would sit up front with my cousin 'cos that would be the closest thing to driving. He said he was good company on the journey and when they stopped at Tebay Services he spent so much time chatting to the staff and signing autographs for anyone that he thought they'd never get away.

The only request my cousin didn't help him with was CB's request for some 'weed' but he told him later that someone at the hotel sorted him out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KernowCanary said:

I bet when Steve Tyler of Aerosmith dies it will be the same outpouring of grief, all despite the fact he dated a 14 year old and got the parents to sign her guardianship over to him.

I thought that was Jimmy page? Or were they all at it!?

29 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

Both by all accounts. 😬🤢

16 hours ago, The Raptor said:

God grief!?. Him also!?…..

It’s amazing how Ant McPartlin of one half of Ant and Dec was pitchforked by the public saying he shouldn’t be on TV again when he never killed anyone in his drink drive incident, only for the same country’s public to try via a petition to sack Holly and Phil just for jumping a stupid 24/7 rolling coverage line….. Yet when Leslie Grantham became famous, hardly anything was mentioned about him murdering a taxi driver in Germany while he was serving in the army. Same goes to Lee Hughes being allowed to play football again while there was no petition or public outroar about it, unlike Ant McPartlin when he didn’t kill anyone, unlike Hughes.

If it was noncing or it was being attempted, then I bet the reaction would have been different.

This whole thing has got me thinking. Just because in terms of Jerry Lee, you’re good at honky-tonking on a piano singing about great balls of fire, the noncing is suddenly excusable for no good reason at all.

If we were to separate the art from the person, how much art would we lose?. That has also got me thinking…. it’s got me thinking that we have to compare the person with their art and see how bad their sins are, it makes their art so hard to enjoy. With Ian Watkins it’s a no brainer and would have thrown all my CDs in the bin if i was a fan, but with Jerry Lee, although it’s not as bad as there was consent, it’s still disgusting as she was an underage and it then escalated to a marriage as well as already being incest. Then taking into consideration he forced the parents to agree to the marriage and was later abusive to her, it’s just off putting while trying to enjoy his music.

Edited by KernowCanary

Todd Rundgren brought up Liv Tyler (called Rundgren on the birth certificate) believing she was his daughter. He didn't know Steven Tyler was the biological father because Bebe Buell, Liv's mother and Todd's partner, didn't want her brought up by the drug addled Tyler. So she hid it from him until Liv found out for herself.