Pukki to Newcastle

13 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Wood vs Weghorst

vs.png

I appreciate Wood making a conscious effort not to score for the scum

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I appreciate Wood making a conscious effort not to score for the scum

Rather amusing how he has done well at every clubs he's been to except for them. Warms the heart a little.

37 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

So now the transfer window is over I thought I'd give this a bump. Burnley sold Chris Wood for £25 million and have replaced him with Wout Weghorst who they signed for £12 million. Now it could be a great bit of business or it could be an awful piece of business. Weghorst may score a bag load of goals that keep them up or he could be a massive flop who totally fails to adapt to the pace and intensity of the Premier League.

However, during this transfer window Burnley (under their new owners) received transfer fees of £25 million and spent only £12 million. If our Board had done the same thing a number of 'the usual suspects' on here would be spontaneously combusting. Morning Dean Coney's Boots. 😉 

It's interesting purely because Wood was only worth £25m to Newcastle, he's probably a £10m player to anyone else. Burnley got lucky and found a potential upgrade and pocketed the rest. Newcastle on the other hand could and probably should have bought Weghorst for £15m, but their gamble in trying to weaken their opponents has fallen slightly flat.

I used to have a grudging admiration for Burnley in being able to survive but their playing of the postponement system has erased any goodwill I had for them. I hope Weghorst is an absolute donkey's backside and flops like bojo's hair after a work meeting. 

I wonder if Newcastle were happy to spend the money on Wood knowing it would likely weaken Burnley significantly even if he doesn’t set the world on fire for the Magpies.

40 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

It's interesting purely because Wood was only worth £25m to Newcastle, he's probably a £10m player to anyone else. Burnley got lucky and found a potential upgrade and pocketed the rest. Newcastle on the other hand could and probably should have bought Weghorst for £15m, but their gamble in trying to weaken their opponents has fallen slightly flat.

I used to have a grudging admiration for Burnley in being able to survive but their playing of the postponement system has erased any goodwill I had for them. I hope Weghorst is an absolute donkey's backside and flops like bojo's hair after a work meeting. 

Well that's a problem Newcastle with have now (Not that it matters..) in that they will have to pay much more than what a player is valued for both the clubs and player knowing that Newcastle has money. Want a player most clubs value at 10 million? For Newcastle that will be 20 million please. 20 million value? Why Newcastle that will be 40 million. After all 'Well we know you have the money and can afford it..'

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well that's a problem Newcastle with have now (Not that it matters..) in that they will have to pay much more than what a player is valued for both the clubs and player knowing that Newcastle has money. Want a player most clubs value at 10 million? For Newcastle that will be 20 million please. 20 million value? Why Newcastle that will be 40 million. After all 'Well we know you have the money and can afford it..'

I think my argument is that actually the £25m is reasonable value to them had it actually weakened Burnley (which appears to be the strategy), but it seems it hasn't, so, why didn't they just go out and buy a better striker - like Weghorst. They've essentially (potentially) funded Burnley's improvement and given them some pin money. It just looks really naïve from a Newcastle perspective. 

22 minutes ago, Thumbbass said:

I think my argument is that actually the £25m is reasonable value to them had it actually weakened Burnley (which appears to be the strategy), but it seems it hasn't, so, why didn't they just go out and buy a better striker - like Weghorst. They've essentially (potentially) funded Burnley's improvement and given them some pin money. It just looks really naïve from a Newcastle perspective. 

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. As I said in my earlier post we have no way really of knowing at this point whether Weghorst is an upgrade on Wood or a downgrade. I imagine the Burnley fans are pretty p*ssed off though knowing that they've made a transfer profit of £13 million in this window and not invested it in the team when they're fighting against relegation. 

Edited by Thirsty Lizard

12 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. As I said in my earlier post we have no way really of knowing at this point whether Weghorst is an upgrade on Wood or a downgrade. I imagine the Burnley fans are pretty p*ssed off though knowing that they've made a transfer profit of £13 million in this window and not invested it in the team when they're fighting against relegation. 

I'd be fuming if I were a Burnley fan to be fair. I heard they have had issues with the new ownership given debts to the previous owners still need to be cleared out of the club's own resources via the leveraged buy out - hence the lack of transfer activity / profiting this month. Not a good look for the new owners.

I'm not close to a Delia-outer as there are far more fans who dislike their owners than fans that do. A lot of what we have is taken for granted IMO and won't be fully realised until we get an owner in who doesn't have a genuine love for the club - which isn't unlikely in the future. 

But Burnley's situation doesn't really make me feel much better about us not trying a bit of business in this window though, they are in a crisis totally devoid of anything here. I still think even under our current ownership that we could've tried something!

35 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Not really getting ahead of anything, just proposing that Newcastle's millions may well have been better spent not giving their (and our) rivals a large budget in the transfer window buying an average player. Burnley seem to have spent some of it well and their owners have some pocket money. Newcastle have a £10m striker they paid £25m for. Wood has scored 3 goals this season from 19 starts, can't imagine Burnley fans are too bothered in having a new head to launch balls at. 

I hope both Newcastle and Burnley continue to be total tripe.