Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

The football is secondary

we are where we are because the owners are poor and have to rob Peter to pay Paul - which is to say the football is of secondary concern to the business and bank balance. 

Take this season - despite acknowledging we lacked physicality last time and needed big ball winning midfielders we went and signed young, lightweight wingers with potential. Why?

because we sign players to enhance the finances tomorrow  anot to win matches today.

And because this model worked well recently (raking in cash for emi, Lewis etc) we got greedy and over played that hand- breaking up a winning side and cramming it with raw talent that isn’t anywhere need ready for the relegation challenge ahead 

People get defensive when you criticise ‘the model’ but here is how it fails the fans but delights the accountants. They don’t care that we will go down - the talent can then grow and sales start again in earnest. 

it really is time the current owners stopped clinging on to power whilst unable to take us forward. Trying to run a team in the current global billionaire era on the fumes of a stale 1990s ownership model is doing huge damage to our potential future. 

• Like 1

Rashica. Terrible season last season after 2 good seasons. Cheap and if he regained form would make a nice profit. No premiership experience.

Tzolis.  Young with potential. Hits the ground running then a nice profit. No premiership experience.

Sargent. Young ( god knows really) hope he hits the ground running then a nice profit. No premiership experience.

PLM. In all honesty he has a bit of experience but not in this league. No premiership experience.

Kabak. Young with half a season in premier League. Is it 2 or 3 relegation at 21? Thinks he's an attacking midfielder. Hopefully stay up and sell for a profit. 

Norman. Has promise but has only played as high as russian league. Could not get in Brighton team but stay up could sell for a profit. This is the only one that has worked. Sadly we will not stay up. 

I agree the owners finances do hinder us but even with that, the money in hindsight should have been spent on less players full stop. Less new players but more experience of the league. Players for the here and now not the sales sheet in a few years time. We have spent money. We have also sold players so I don't go with this "we have spent 50 to 70 million"talk but we have spent money, just not for improving the team right now.

The board don't have money so we try to be clever and play the moneyball system.

Webber is not good at the moneyball system and doesn't realise it's about under valued players. It could be a 30 year old at Southampton with 150 premiership games under his belts as well as a 19 year old from Greece. 

Farke has changed our whole identity. I watch us play and I don't know who we are anymore but he is not getting the maximum results for what he has in the squad. If he was would we stay up, I'm not sure but it should be better than this. 

• Like 1

These post are how I see things.  Basically a squad assembled for future profit, but sadly not top level today, but a hope they had the extra quality to survive.  

7 hours ago, Canaries north said:

Rashica. Terrible season last season after 2 good seasons. Cheap and if he regained form would make a nice profit. No premiership experience.

Tzolis.  Young with potential. Hits the ground running then a nice profit. No premiership experience.

Sargent. Young ( god knows really) hope he hits the ground running then a nice profit. No premiership experience.

PLM. In all honesty he has a bit of experience but not in this league. No premiership experience.

Kabak. Young with half a season in premier League. Is it 2 or 3 relegation at 21? Thinks he's an attacking midfielder. Hopefully stay up and sell for a profit. 

Norman. Has promise but has only played as high as russian league. Could not get in Brighton team but stay up could sell for a profit. This is the only one that has worked. Sadly we will not stay up. 

I agree the owners finances do hinder us but even with that, the money in hindsight should have been spent on less players full stop. Less new players but more experience of the league. Players for the here and now not the sales sheet in a few years time. We have spent money. We have also sold players so I don't go with this "we have spent 50 to 70 million"talk but we have spent money, just not for improving the team right now.

The board don't have money so we try to be clever and play the moneyball system.

Webber is not good at the moneyball system and doesn't realise it's about under valued players. It could be a 30 year old at Southampton with 150 premiership games under his belts as well as a 19 year old from Greece. 

Farke has changed our whole identity. I watch us play and I don't know who we are anymore but he is not getting the maximum results for what he has in the squad. If he was would we stay up, I'm not sure but it should be better than this. 

I think he didn’t go for established premiership experience because we won’t pay the wages for that. Indeed I think wages explains an awful lot of why we missed Ajer and why recruitment at this level is always sub standard 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Canaries north said:

We have also sold players so I don't go with this "we have spent 50 to 70 million"talk but we have spent money, just not for improving the team right now.

Exactly this. The figures aren't going to be 100% accurate taken from Transfermarkt, but according to that, Brentford spent close to £35 million and didn't sell anyone, giving them a spend of close to £35 million.

Whilst we may have spent close to £60 million, we recouped around £35 million n the Buendia deal, giving us a net spend of £25 million. Therefore Brentford have adopted the more ambitious transfer policy this summer and at the moment it's paying off.