Sign in to follow this  
Sooty57

After a good nights sleep...

... it still doesn't seem any better.

I am sure we will improve as the new players gel into the team, but fear it will be too late. A losing mentality is a very difficult thing to shake off. The quality of teams in this league offer so few chances to gain precious points that you have to hit the ground running and perform against the lesser teams right from the off. The first 4 defeats didn't bother me unduly because even at our best we would probably still get nothing unless they had an 'off day'.  Yesterday, however was entirely different. Instead of raising our game to take what should have been a very achievable 3 points we managed sink to a new low and give a very average side a comfortable away win.

So what is the answer? If I knew that I would be managing a PL team instead of sitting in my PJs on a Sunday morning wringing my hands over a keyboard. Sack the manager? I think that would be an incredibly foolish thing to do. Quite apart from the fact that we would be unlikely to attract a replacement of any quality, all of the new players have been bought in to play roles in DFs 'system', and obviously believe in it, and may not be suitable for another manager's style of play (I know there are many that think there is no workable system at NCFC and the players are not up to it anyway, but I reserve judgement on that, at least for a few more games). I also feel that Daniel Farke deserves better treatment than that after his loyalty to this club. Bring in a few 'established' PL players? Quite apart from the fact that the transfer window is closed, that has not worked too well for us in the last few years. The Championship is also littered with debt-ridden teams who tried to buy their stay in the PL.

We are a prime example of the gulf in quality between the Championship and the PL and, while it may not be very palatable, I fear we have no alternative other than to sit tight and strap in for a bumpy ride, at least until January, by which time it may well be too late to turn the season around. To be honest, if we did go back down, can you name manager you would sooner have in charge of a Championship team?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You were able to get a good nights sleep?

Jack Daniels is a wonderful sleep aid 👍

Does the losing mentality start at the coaching though?

Or even, from Stuart Webber? 

We've historically been plucky Norwich, punching above our weight and taking it to the big boys, now we often sound defeated before kick off. 

When we finish 1st in the Championship (21st in England) or 20th in the Premier League (20th in England) we are probably in our natural position. That isn't punching above our weight. 

McNally was the last person to oversee a couple of seasons of us punching above our weight, with 11th and 12th placed finished, it was only a decade ago.

We're not punching above our weight?

Go and tell that to the fans of Nottingham Forest or Derby or Blackburn or Sheffield Wednesday or Sunderland or Sheffield United (remember them?) or Portsmouth or Swansea (remember them?) or Stoke or QPR or Birmingham or Middlesbrough etc, etc, etc

Ask the fans of any of these teams whether we're punching about our weight and they will all tell you that we are.