Sign in to follow this  
unique

Farke’s weakness starting to surface

It is really worth noting that these players that are 'back' are not yet fully up to speed.

Just because they are back and on the bench or even in the squad doesn't mean they are ready to play 90mins to the best of their abilities.

Pukki was out with his side strain for some time. He's come back but only really because Hugill was injured. How ready he was to actually start we'll probably never know, but going on form alone, I doubt Hugill would have been dropped. Pukki has looked a bit leggy in the last couple of games and I guess that is to be expected when you have just come back.

Idah and Dowell weren't predicted to be back so quickly. Dowell more so perhaps. He is clearly still getting back to full fitness as is Idah. Placheta, Hernandez, Rupp, McLean - all are in exactly the same position. You could throw Krul into that as well.

So whilst it is true that on paper we have more options than we did when relying upon the U23's to make up our bench, it is also true that many of these players are the players that were out injured and looking to get back to full match fitness and find some form as well. The choices won't be as simple as their names on a piece of paper will make it seem.

Sorenson, everyone is going on about getting called back in, is a fantastic player. But he is a CM. He does a good job at LB but the new chap needs more than a week of training which also featured two games, to get the hang of the English game. 

Loved some of Farke's quotes today.

“In football there is maybe always five per cent who are always searching for something negative or that ‘this’ is not good enough or ‘that’ should be better and I will always take this because we are playing football. 

“We are living in the worst pandemic in a century and if it helps for people to moan about something in football or to worry about this, to get the frustration a bit out of their everyday life and it helps them, then I’ll take this. 

• Haha 1

I think people under estimate just how good Sorensen's distribution is. Whilst he doesn't go past players he links up play incredibly well, especially with Todd. Giannoulis might come good and needs time, but for me there's no coincidence that we don't look as fluid, and Todd looks a bit lost, without Sorensen there.

On 03/02/2021 at 16:06, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, but his legs have gone, and he was never quick to start with, so he is struggling to take advantage of the little gaps he creates, having to stretch for the ball.

That said, I haven't seen enough of Dowell but he seems not to have impressed so far. For Swansea I would suggest trying McLean as the Number 10, albeit more of a box to box  No 10 than Vrancic. He won't give you much creativity but he adds a goal threat and some physicality.

We shall see...😎

5 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

We shall see...😎

He adds a different thing to the number 10 position, namely his ability to win headers and keep possession up the park. Stiepermann was brilliant at the latter during the last Championship season, but Kenny's ability to compete in the air could result in flick-ons for Pukki to chase.