Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

For those who want more proof Emi is safe from Arsenal

If we go up then Todd will sign a new deal, Emi will be the one sold as he's basically already "giving us an extra season". I don't think Todd can quite attract one of the top clubs that would sway his head that much yet if we were in the prem. We would be in a strong position financially to offer him a decent wedge as well.

Aarons would be 50/50 I think. Man U seem very keen on him but already have AWB as staple right back so not sure what they would want from Aarons as he'd cost £25m+ so hardly squad player money. If we stay down then he's gone for £20m. I think Everton would be a better move for him to be Colemans successor. Everton have a knack for attacking full backs and Godfrey has settled in very well there.

We could then use the money to reinvent ourselves a little as a more robust side with a new centre back and some more physical attacking players. Maybe not full Burnley brexit ball standard but more like how Palace have developed over the last couple of seasons. Hopefully Skipp could stay another season or maybe it isn't beyond the realms we'd sign him permanently for £20m or so with a buy back in there

17 hours ago, horsefly said:

My only fear is that Brexit is going to scupper our chances of uncovering another Emi. As I understand it the post-Brexit rules would mean that Emi wouldn't have qualified for a permit. What a shame if Brexit ruins the fantastic recruitment model that we have so expertly developed.

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that we have already been preparing, and adapting, for this scenario for some time now. 

Although Emi was signed from Spain, he is of course Argentinian. So I wonder if it was by any coincidence that for the first time in our clubs history, we not so long back set up a scouting base in South America where as I understand it the rules on signing young players is different to those in Europe.

My feeling is the savvy operators that we now proudly possess at Carrow Rd foresaw the possible issues surrounding Brexit, and made a head start regarding expanding our network to the other areas of the world.

There must be so much untapped talent on that giant continent (South America), and I have a really strong feeling that Emi Buendía won’t be the last South American we see playing for City this year.

Having watched a few games in Argentina the culture around football there is amazing, at the time I was there away fans were not permitted in the ground due to ( to put it mildly ) previous hostilities, but the whole carnival of fans arriving at the game and the event itself was fantastic, and all the players seemed to be so comfortable on the ball. Of course only allowing home fans at games would be a real bonus now, amazing how things have changed.

I am interested if there are any links about how Brexit has or will impact signing overseas players, I really cant see how it would have affected us signing Emi as he wasn't an EU national was he? I may have got that wrong but would be interested in clarification. It may well be that as he was coming from Spain he would need a permit?

Edited by Van wink

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

Having watched a few games in Argentina the culture around football there is amazing, at the time I was there away fans were not permitted in the ground due to ( to put it mildly ) previous hostilities, but the whole carnival of fans arriving at the game and the event itself was fantastic, and all the players seemed to be so comfortable on the ball. Of course only allowing home fans at games would be a real bonus now, amazing how things have changed.

I am interested if there are any links about how Brexit has or will impact signing overseas players, I really cant see how it would have affected us signing Emi as he wasn't an EU national was he? I may have got that wrong but would be interested in clarification. It may well be that as he was coming from Spain he would need a permit?

Won’t pretend to know how it works, VW, but I’m guessing it was your very last words that answered the question over why Emi wouldn’t have qualified under the new legislations. However, had we signed him directly from Cadetes de San Martín then I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t have been an issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Would he be first choice for Arsenal though - I have no idea which players are underperforming for them at the moment? Sounds like he will because of Arsenal’s desperation to sign him but players go on to bigger clubs I always have doubts on how they’ll do. Eg Earnshaw - first choice for us, Derby signed him when they got promoted, he goes saying that “the lure of the PL was just too great”, never heard of him again.
Even when players go to clubs of the same level there’s no guarantee that they will be as good as they were for their previous club. Sanchez was great for the Gunners. Went to Manure, a club of a similar level and was manure

You’re missing the point, which is the money. 

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Spanish citizenship and passport 

• Thanks 1