Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Farke interview

I know partly covered in other threads but I’ve just fully listened to The Farke interview on the pinkun website.

I think he comes across a s just brutally honest in his assessment of Buendia and Cantwell. Making it quite clear that he is not willing to tolerate their behaviour and that their behaviour and performances are not good enough.

I may question his tactical judgement and some of the decisions he makes but I’ve got a lot of respect for him in terms of his approach and apparent love for the club.

Message is very clear that the players owe the club a lot and neither than them are bigger than the club.

Certainly has my full backing for how he’s approaching this.

• Like 1

People seem to have lost sight of how good Farke is, and the delusion that another manager would come in and rocket us into the prem is like some weird groupthink. 

• Like 1

I should probably start by saying that I'm also grateful to have a coach of DF's calibre - it cannot be easy to attract someone like him to a club with a negative transfer budget.  

On the other hand, I don't think he's infallible, and I'm hoping he will address some of his shortcomings asap - chief among which is that he thinks he IS infallible: this is borne out by his rigid adherence to certain tactics, substitution policies etc. despite their proving continually unsuccessful - lack of a plan B isn't necessarily a lack of imagination; in his case it looks like an inflexibility born out of arrogance.  

His lengthy rant post-match yesterday about his perception of a player's commitment in training being the only requirement for a place in the team is another example of the same failing.  It is incumbent on the manager of a club with limited resources and a shallow squad to get the best out of the players he has, but frankly I'm not sure his attitude and man-management skills are up to it.  

OK, we were unlucky with the ref yesterday (most fouls? two penalties not given?) but I don't think we were set up well to score goals. Farke doesn't seem to understand how crucial creativity in midfield will be to scoring enough goals to finish above mid table in this league.  No matter what you think of his justification for leaving out both Cantwell and Buendia, waiting until 70' to bring on his only remining creative option, Vrancic, whilst we pummelled away without much penetration was disappointing. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jerrykerry said:

People seem to have lost sight of how good Farke is, and the delusion that another manager would come in and rocket us into the prem is like some weird groupthink. 

Well I think the question some people have (myself included) is 'how good is Farke actually?'

We've had three seasons under him- one mediocre, one incredible and one awful (with a big caveat next to it around things outside of his control).

So this season, for me, is where we find out how good he is. Can he pick up players after a confidence shattering season? Can he recreate the stunning football we saw a couple of seasons ago? Can he deal with our defensive woes? 

Football is littered with players and managers who burned bright for a short period but couldn't sustain or recapture that spark longer term. I don't think Farke is one of those but we'll find out as this season goes on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well I think the question some people have (myself included) is 'how good is Farke actually?'

We've had three seasons under him- one mediocre, one incredible and one awful (with a big caveat next to it around things outside of his control).

So this season, for me, is where we find out how good he is. Can he pick up players after a confidence shattering season? Can he recreate the stunning football we saw a couple of seasons ago? Can he deal with our defensive woes? 

Football is littered with players and managers who burned bright for a short period but couldn't sustain or recapture that spark longer term. I don't think Farke is one of those but we'll find out as this season goes on.

Half a season of great 2 and a half of rubbish with a poor start to this one 

Edited by Uncle Fred

I think its very true to say this is the season where Farke shows how good he really is.

I'm seeing some promising signs so far (subs have been earlier, more options to change games and I actually think we played a lot better yesterday) but also nagging doubts remain (still not great defending set plays and the midfield selection is not right) so time will tell.