Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

The Blades

Would not surprise me if they take a lead first half. They have a big incentive to beat us and there manager is under pressure, with relegation looking certain.

However, I believe the fact we have far higher asperations in our sights than the binners, a number of our better players have only been here for a season or two and a manager who does not have a soiled history gives us an advantage.

Whilst they (and PL) will be nervously trying to add glitter to their turd of a season with their performance we will simply be taking this as an opportunity to add 3 points to our total.   

Our composure and higher level of talent will see us through. As it has done for the last two meetings, which represented their best chance of a victory for a decade. Which they choked at again.

Very much hope you're right ER !  I think it has been helpful in recent years that derby games in football generally have become less frenetic and with fewer OTT physical challenges, with refs keeping a tighter rein than they used to.  That's our advantage.  If they can make it a physical contest and get away with a lot of fouls, it takes away our advantage.  Fingers crossed.

I've never really had anything against Shef U but I must admit I can't stand Wilder.

I'm pretty encouraged by how we performed against Brum (plus of course that followed the first 35 minutes against Derby) which was up there with anything we've played this season. We seem to have now found a way to come out of the blocks and dominate teams at home which is something we weren't doing earlier in the season.

I was also pretty encouraged watching them at Swansea because I don't think they have a lot of pace and I think teams that have caused us problems of late have done so by catching us on the counter with their quick players running at us. I think also that Swansea played in the second half quite like we do when we are "on it" and it was apparent that the Blades couldn't really live with their passing and movement in spells. 

They will be strong and set pieces though so we will need to defend properly and I thought they looked a very solid and hard working side so this will be very tough. You don't sit third after half a season if you are not a decent side. Have also always rated McGoldrick who as an ex scummer may be bound to score against us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I'm pretty encouraged by how we performed against Brum (plus of course that followed the first 35 minutes against Derby) which was up there with anything we've played this season. We seem to have now found a way to come out of the blocks and dominate teams at home which is something we weren't doing earlier in the season.

This is how I see it as well JS. Our style in the last few games appeared to have developed and we definitely dominate teams earlier which is a good trait especially with our enhanced and hard worked fitness levels.

However, I do believe in this particular game we need an early goal. This will encourage Sheff United to try to play against us instead of effectively stifling our play through niggly fouls etc. I'm of the opinion this could be one of our best games of the season so far.  

it would be great if we beat them and just to see their manager's desolation afterwards, will be a delight all round.

Wilder has got Sheff U playing very well. I think as he is a gruff northerner, people assume they play ‘negative football’ but that really isn’t the case. They have committed 345 fouls compared to Norwich’s 336 (that’s 10th and 13th most in the league respectively). 

They also aren’t particularly threatening on set pieces, they have scored the same number as Norwich (8). 

They have a very set game plan of press high, get their wingbacks into dangerous area and make short, low crosses to Sharp and McGoldrick who are both good poachers. McGoldrick does a lot of work outside the box also in harrying defenders. 

They don’t take a lot of shots, but they focus on getting the ball into the 6 yard box for big chances. Billy Sharp has scored 16 goals from only 53 shots! Pukki has taken 77 shots to reach that number and even Tammy Abraham has taken 68. 

They certainly aren’t like Birmingham in anyway and will provide a really different challenge to Norwich. Sheff U certainly won’t sit back against Norwich and will look to win the balls in high areas and control possession. Their expected goals (I know, I know) is higher away from home that at Brammel Lane so home advantage might  not suit Norwich so much here. 

Very much a game where if Norwich can’t win it, they certainly shouldn’t loss it. 

Edited by Bethnal Yellow and Green

13 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Wilder has got Sheff U playing very well. I think as he is a gruff northerner, people assume they play ‘negative football’ but that really isn’t the case. They have committed 345 fouls compared to Norwich’s 336 (that’s 10th and 13th most in the league respectively). 

They also aren’t particularly threatening on set pieces, they have scored the same number as Norwich (8). 

They have a very set game plan of press high, get their wingbacks into dangerous area and make short, low crosses to Sharp and McGoldrick who are both good poachers. McGoldrick does a lot of work outside the box also in harrying defenders. 

They don’t take a lot of shots, but they focus on getting the ball into the 6 yard box for big chances. Billy Sharp has scored 16 goals from only 53 shots! Pukki has taken 77 shots to reach that number and even Tammy Abraham has taken 68. 

They certainly aren’t like Birmingham in anyway and will provide a really different challenge to Norwich. Sheff U certainly won’t sit back against Norwich and will look to win the balls in high areas and control possession. Their expected goals (I know, I know) is higher away from home that at Brammel Lane so home advantage might  not suit Norwich so much here. 

Very much a game where if Norwich can’t win it, they certainly shouldn’t loss it. 

The high press is certainly the tactic that causes us the most issues although Trybull is possibly a bit more adept at dealing with it that Tettey (who is better in other areas). My biggest concern is how exposed we get when our full backs lose the ball as they are often so advanced it leaves a lot of space to exploit.

Should be an interesting contest.