cast away

rocky

lord of the rings

bad boy bubby

withnail and I

the godfather

the beach

continue........

Oh my goodness Bethnal.Some old films never die.I saw the 7 Samurie a long time ago.At Boarding school.( They tried to keep us out of trouble)A slightly fancy film club I joined, Catherine Deneuve springs to mind in Repulsion.

How George Kennedy got the Oscar and not Newman for that film will always be a mystery to me.

More greats for me.

Thunderbolt and Lightfoot

The Dirty Dozen

The Searchers

Great scene. I do not know what the world record is for such a feat and there''s got to be one but that total would take some doing.

Just looked it up and a woman holds the record. Sonja Thomas swallowed 65 boiled eggs in under 7 minutes. I find that a bit hard to believe. Not the amount but the time.

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]

How George Kennedy got the Oscar and not Newman for that film will always be a mystery to me.

[/quote]

Well, Newman was nominated for Best Actor and Kennedy for Best Actor in a Supporting Role. Rod Steiger won the Best Actor award that year and Kennedy won his nominated category. It''s not really a mystery as they were never competing against each other but against other actors in different movies. If you find anything else a bit puzzling just ask, I''m always glad to help [:D] .

If.    ?Probably out of it''s time now. But it was pretty close to the reality then. 1968.Pretty sure it has never been on TV.

[quote user="hexem"]If.    ?Probably out of it''s time now. But it was pretty close to the reality then. 1968.Pretty sure it has never been on TV.[/quote]I have seen IF a couple of times on tv ce-ec!

[quote user="San Miguel"]

a few modern classics;

Man on Fire

John Q

I Am Legend

Inception

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

[/quote]About two of those, at most, qualify for such acclaim.

''Classics'' seems too broad for a thread. If you''re looking for big films in general, just search on IMDB:http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

''Modern classics'' would be a more interesting challenge (the last decade or so per say).Given that classics are often either the magnum opus of a director, actor or film studio, or of a line of exuding genius, and in either case are iconic or groundbreaking in some way; a few suggestions of mine would be:Toy Story - Pixar ~ The pioneer of CGI in Hollywood, and ensured animation could stand toe-to-toe with any other.Spirited Away - Studio Ghibli ~ Heralded in the wonderful imagination in Anime cinema to western audiences.The Dark Knight - Christopher Nolan ~ The culmination of work from possibly the greatest director of our generation, finally with all the tools at his disposal; a welcome meeting of minds in Heath Ledger as an acting parallel to his talent to do justice to Nolan''s vibrant portrayal of the tired franchise. Rejuvinated comic based Hollywood movies overwhelmingly, with a much needed real sense of often surreal material.Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind - Jim Carrey ~ Opened the Hollywood doors to the ''indie'' scene with perhaps a touch of genius that the scene has not seen since. Jim Carrey''s turn in a serious and deep role that plucks on the heart strings in alien territory (more for the audience than for him) deftly invigorates the whole piece tenfold.Donnie Darko - Jake Gyllenhal ~ Saw the emergence of one of the best actors in the modern era, with an awkward but more than investable mix of teenage angst and time travel, as an ambitious film took on heavy complex concepts far more weightier than it''s modest budget.Pans Labyrinth - Guilleherme del Toro ~ Foreign, subtitled cinema that dumbed down audiences could finally not shy away from. With popular European films like A Prophet, Let The Right One In, and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo making an impact on Hollywood, it served to open a much needed connection in western cinema.Harry Potter - Daniel Radcliffe ~ The first, and only time mainstream cinema has intertwined in the growth of its audience. Regardless of the disputed substance behind the material, the franchise is a milestone in the adventure of growing up that will never be mirrored. Brick by brick built the platform of trust, love and comfort in innocence, all then shaken by the reality of lifes cruelties; even if imagined, depicting an honest interpretation of what it is to be mature.The Blair With Project - An anomaly ~ Like ''Dark Star'' in the 70''s, small time cinema presents an anomaly to my criteria, becaue it is off the back of it''s own innovative ideas that it''s reached such acclaim. The spark of independant film-making, like seeing a shooting star as a kid, has us stood in awe as it briefly flashes by with not much known about it other than it being a memorable spectacle. Opened a whole new sub-category in the horror genre.

The Blair Witch Project? A classic??

Did i find it a poor film because the hype and bluster gave the game away,letting everyone outside the US know exactly what it was about?Or was it a poor film?

Although John is right,it did kick start a new type of film!

Anyway,modern classics.

Saving Private Ryan

Schindlers List

Downfall.

Just watched the old wartime classic (for about the tenth time) "The Caine Mutiny" with Humpty Gocart, Excellent piece of acting. 

The remake would be fun with the Star and John Prescott as the steward..... "Who has pinched the sausages?"hex

So . Crosswords at dawn is it.? Didn''t dear Dickie eat everyone including Dawn.Oh no, same story  "Raft of the Medusa",different medium, are you there Doris?Message from .....hex wrong film.I can gibber at an early morning slot.I think I was thinking of "In which we serve".I left the above in because it keeps the forum awake.hex