Sign in to follow this  
daisy

Oliveira`s replacement ?

Nothing to loose drop Nelson and bring in Naismith he might jump at the opportunity and will give a much greater effort than we have seen in recent times from our so called striker.

Actually I’m going to side with Lincoln Reading Canary on this one, rather than let the know-it-alls gang up on him. It is rather tin pot to accept we’re a stepping stone. I’d like to think some of my fellow fans see us as more than that.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Actually I’m going to side with Lincoln Reading Canary on this one, rather than let the know-it-alls gang up on him. It is rather tin pot to accept we’re a stepping stone. I’d like to think some of my fellow fans see us as more than that.[/quote]

It''s quite simple HHS.  A young up and coming player will have ambition and that means he will want to go as high as he can get in the profession. Now unless you think we are the top club in the country, we are always going to be a stepping stone for a player in that situation. You could look at it from an older journeyman player''s perspective, who has spent all his career at lower leagues and who might regard the opportunity to play for Norwich as as high as he is going to get. The other type of player you might get is an aging player from a top club who wants to finish his career at a club like us and relish the opportunity to play first team football, like Hucks and Dublin.  All viewpoints are valid, but to dismiss out of hand that a young player is not going to regard moving to Norwich as a career progressing move and who will want to go further, is wrong.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Actually I’m going to side with Lincoln Reading Canary on this one, rather than let the know-it-alls gang up on him. It is rather tin pot to accept we’re a stepping stone. I’d like to think some of my fellow fans see us as more than that.[/quote]
It''s irrelevant what we think. To us, we''re the best club in the world. But for Maddison we were a step up from Coventry, and his next move will be a step up. Should we never have signed him because it was always possible he might out-grow us?

I think Lincoln has some vaild points.

Not every player who does well for us moves in to bigger things. Holt and Martin were a great partnership but neither has progressed after leaving us apart from Martin''s international caps which he would have got with us no doubt.

Of course in many ways we welcome the chance to get a player in for a few bob and sell him on for a fortune.

But with the trend of Prem clubs to but abroad, there is less scope for players to progress.

So we ought not assume every signing has to be qualified by how much he will be worth later.

Wolves, Bournemouth etc aren''t bigger clubs. They are currently more successful.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]I think Lincoln has some vaild points.

Not every player who does well for us moves in to bigger things. Holt and Martin were a great partnership but neither has progressed after leaving us apart from Martin''s international caps which he would have got with us no doubt.

Of course in many ways we welcome the chance to get a player in for a few bob and sell him on for a fortune.

But with the trend of Prem clubs to but abroad, there is less scope for players to progress.

So we ought not assume every signing has to be qualified by how much he will be worth later.

Wolves, Bournemouth etc aren''t bigger clubs. They are currently more successful.[/quote]

Thank you for articulating my point KG. But be warned, little miss piggy, Ian and Co won''t take too fondly to it.

Martin and Holt are very good examples, as is/was Ricky Lambert and Glenn Murray and many others.

It''s not very ambitious to accept all new signings will likely leave in a season or two. Clearly, its always inevitable with certain players with immense ability, but I''d like first and foremost signings to be made in line with a strategy that makes Norwich City as successful as possible on the pitch. If that involves signing 28/29 year old''s at their professional peak, then so be it. And this isn''t advocating signing mercenaries looking for a final pay day.

[quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]I think Lincoln has some vaild points.

Wolves, Bournemouth etc aren''t bigger clubs. They are currently more successful.[/quote]

Thank you for articulating my point KG. But be warned, little miss piggy, Ian and Co won''t take too fondly to it.

Martin and Holt are very good examples, as is/was Ricky Lambert and Glenn Murray and many others.

It''s not very ambitious to accept all new signings will likely leave in a season or two. Clearly, its always inevitable with certain players with immense ability, but I''d like first and foremost signings to be made in line with a strategy that makes Norwich City as successful as possible on the pitch. If that involves signing 28/29 year old''s at their professional peak, then so be it. And this isn''t advocating signing mercenaries looking for a final pay day.[/quote]

Try and dig your way out of it if you like, but what little miss piggy and co didn''t like was your ridiculing the idea that a young player might be coming here as a pathway upwards. Of course KG is right in what he says, but if you didn''t want to be pulled up for your disparaging remarks to my post about Marriot - who is clearly a player on the way up - you shouldn''t have written them.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lincoln canary"][quote user="keelansgrandad"]I think Lincoln has some vaild points.

It''s not very ambitious to accept all new signings will likely leave in a season or two. Clearly, its always inevitable with certain players with immense ability, but I''d like first and foremost signings to be made in line with a strategy that makes Norwich City as successful as possible on the pitch. If that involves signing 28/29 year old''s at their professional peak, then so be it. And this isn''t advocating signing mercenaries looking for a final pay day.[/quote]

Try and dig your way out of it if you like, but what little miss piggy and co didn''t like was your ridiculing the idea that a young player might be coming here as a pathway upwards. Of course KG is right in what he says, but if you didn''t want to be pulled up for your disparaging remarks to my post about Marriot - who is clearly a player on the way up - you shouldn''t have written them.

[/quote]

Stop spouting rubbish LDC. Your twisting stuff as usual.

I''m not stupid, obviously some players swill harbour higher ambitions than Norwich, and therefore use Norwich as a pathway to success.

My point is our team shouldn''t be built solely on players that fit that criteria. Using future transfer fee as the primary qualification to a transfer is something I hope isn''t taking place.

What I don''t like is fellow fans openly accepting we are a stepping stone, it sounds tin pot. I stand by that.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]What I don''t like is fellow fans openly accepting we are a stepping stone, it sounds tin pot. I stand by that.[/quote]But for some players we are. What''s wrong with saying it openly? 

But the only reason Holt and Martin didn''t go onto better things is that the club progressed alongside them at the time. Which obviously met their ambitions to play at a higher level. Had holt scored 30 goals in League One but we didn''t get promoted, he''d have been off to a championship club.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lincoln canary"]What I don''t like is fellow fans openly accepting we are a stepping stone, it sounds tin pot. I stand by that.[/quote]But for some players we are. What''s wrong with saying it openly?  [/quote]
Lincoln regularly rips into the club at every possible opportunity but now those who realise that some players use Norwich City as a place to promote their talents are ''tin pot''.
I''d say fans who cry and whinge every time a little thing doesn''t go their way is slightly more tinpot, but each to their own [:d]

Thing is Little Miss Piggy,I regularly ''rip into the club'' because IMO it is being poorly run, with the current board demonstrating on many occasions how incompetent they are at running a football club.

I very rarely rip into the fans though. But when I start to read and hear language from fellow fans that stinks of small club mentality, I get annoyed. Once the fans start accepting small club mentality, it breeds a defeatist attitude and defends the boards devolution of the club.

Stepping stone..... a very defeatist, submissive, tin pot, choice of words.

All just my opinion of course.

But the only reason Holt and Martin didn''t go onto better things is that the club progressed alongside them at the time. Which obviously met their ambitions to play at a higher level. Had holt scored 30 goals in League One but we didn''t get promoted, he''d have been off to a championship club.

The fact is we did and he didn''t. Holt had only played briefly and unsuccessfully in the Championship on loan at Blackpool and there was never a queue for him.