Sign in to follow this  
king canary

The new normal

KC, the truth is that we want and need regular excursions to the top flight and that is the bottom line. Without that the new format is doomed to failure or long term mediocrity.

So Nigel, when we were relegated to League One, under our current owners, were you happy even though it was the first time in 50 years?

I ask because, you are very quick to bring up how many times we’ve been promoted under their tenure, but always gloss over this fact

[quote user="nutty nigel"]We are poles apart I''m afraid. This blind love of money above everything we have now is beyond my comprehension.[/quote]

It’s not a blind love of money it’s called realism, it’s the way of the modern game, as I say, you may not like it but it’s reality that to get on in the game nowadays you need money either from a rich owner or from being able to get a slice of the Sky money

I probably give it about as much attention as it deserves Baldy. Why do you covet it beyond the other 19 seasons?

See you guys later I''ve got a pocket rocket to visit ☺

[quote user="Baldyboy"]So Nigel, when we were relegated to League One, under our current owners, were you happy even though it was the first time in 50 years?

I ask because, you are very quick to bring up how many times we’ve been promoted under their tenure, but always gloss over this fact[/quote]A list of the clubs that have ended up in the third tier over the lasr two or three decades would emphasise how well the club had done to avoid that fate for as long as it did, and then only to be there for one season.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Is what we''ve had regular enough Rickyyy? It''s certainly not Delia who needs the All Bran....[/quote]

I''ve been happy enough Nigel, probably had more ups and downs than any comparable club. I''ve even been happy enough being unhappy and hope to continue until the Grim Reaper arrives.Only human nature to want more though.

@Ricardo

We need that or at least some close run things to sustain the support.

Ipswich are a handy warning just down the road yet some seem to believe their current situation couldn''t possibly happen to us...

[quote user="king canary"]@Ricardo

We need that or at least some close run things to sustain the support.

Ipswich are a handy warning just down the road yet some seem to believe their current situation couldn''t possibly happen to us...[/quote]Its what I warned against before the season started. After the eight game run I thought I might be worrying unduly but you only need look at the goal average after a third of the season to see where things are going. Its usually a reliable indicator and it signals to me a below halfway finish.

What happened is indeed real but how does what you think got any more credence than what anybody else thinks?

You dismiss everybody who is anti board so quickly but that doesn’t mean they are wrong because as you say nobody knows what’s going to happen in truth!

Did you ever think we would end up in League One when Smith acquired the club? I very much doubt it, I’m sure the majority didn’t think it would happen so to say that a new owner is not going to help is just as silly as you say we are who would like to see new owners

In no way do I covet it at all Nigel, but yet again you dismiss it with a fleeting comment, as though it never happened.

I never thought when I began supporting City all those years ago in the early 70s that it would happen, I always wanted, and still do, want us to be the best, you may not think so but it’s true, but there are more than one way to become the best, I’m sure Man City and Chelsea, as well as Leicester, are testament to that!

@Ricardo

I also do believe (however silly it might sound) that by looking at these forums, social media and listening to what you hear around the ground you can sense an overall mood amongst the fan base and that mood feels more apathetic than I can remember in my time.

Games aren''t selling out anymore, attendance has suffered a small but noticeable drop and I''ve noticed a number of people who sat around me in the South Stand did not return this season. I don''t think we''re that far away from a return to 21/22k crowds unless we go on a great run.

Much in line with my feelings. There is much more hope now than expectation. We''ve lost a few old faces near me in the River End and even the newcomers seem apathetic.There is a whole generation that have never experienced a long run of mediocre seasons and that is what we now face. The up down nature of the last decade or so is not the norm and many are going to experience something they have not been used to.

Baldy I''m not dismissing anyone''s view. I''m not even claiming my view to be more realistic than anyone else like you are. I''m posting my view, giving umpteen reasons how I arrive at it, on a discussion forum. And I shall continue to do so.

[quote user="Baldyboy"]What happened is indeed real but how does what you think got any more credence than what anybody else thinks?

You dismiss everybody who is anti board so quickly but that doesn’t mean they are wrong because as you say nobody knows what’s going to happen in truth!

Did you ever think we would end up in League One when Smith acquired the club? I very much doubt it, I’m sure the majority didn’t think it would happen so to say that a new owner is not going to help is just as silly as you say we are who would like to see new owners[/quote]A list of the clubs that have ended up in the

third tier over the last two or three decades would emphasise how well

the club had done to avoid that fate for as long as it did, and then

only to be there for one season.

Midweel attendance was 26k. All the same fans still around me and we''re all fairly realistic bar a couple of painfully unintelligent loudmouths behind me.

I reckon we have a way to go till we''re Ipswich. Even then we will still be better.