Sign in to follow this  
Curious Canary

Eagles versus Canaries

Eagles

Founded: 1905, promoted to PL in 2013, now in 4th season in the PL

Ground Capacity: 25,456

Chairman/Owner: Steve Parish, businessman age 51, net worth £45m, saved the club in 2010 with investment syndicate, hands- on involvement with the running of the club

Finance: Debt free, part owned by Americans; 50 year old billionaire Joshua Harris and 46 year old sports investor David Blitzer

Manager: Alan Pardew since Jan 2015, 18 years experience, win % with Palace 41%

Recent Record: Lost 6 league games in a row

Current Situation: Alan Pardew in talks with Steve Parish as concerned Crystal Palace chiefs seek signs he can turn the season around

Odds to be relegated: 9/2

Canaries

Founded: 1902, promoted to PL in 2011 and 2015, relegated after 3 seasons and 1 season

Ground Capacity: 27,244

Chairman: Ed Ball, ex-politician, academic, tv personality, age 49, net worth?

Owner: Delia Smith, cook, author, tv personality, age 75, net worth £23m, saved the club in 1996 along with writer, editor, publisher Michael Wynn-Jones, hands-off involvement with the running of the club

Finance: Debt free, no new investment

Manager: Alex Neil since Jan 2015, 3 years experience, win % with City 43%

Recent Record: Lost 6 games in a row, 5 league and 1 cup

Current Situation: Delia says “If I had my way now I’d give Alex all the time he needs. I would. But you see in football, now …”

Odds to be promoted: 100/30

Interesting (well at least I think so).

Palace have been smart. They realised the game was ebbing back to a more counter attacking style at the top level and signed almost exclusively pace and power. For the record eventhough I don''t like them at all as a club, I don''t think they''ll be relegated. They remind me of Swansea last year, rubbish, but they don''t concede enough goals

We, for some reason went for small, technical players who at PL level aren''t really that special. When we did go for big guys like Klose, Mulumbu and Mbokani they were immobile and I''m pretty sure I could out run any 3 of them.

As a club trying to establish ourselves in the PL on a small budget we really, really should be looking more towards the type of players Palace have signed.

We have to play at our best to have a chance of winning at the top level. With better physical attributes you can suck the ball into the back of the net when you really need to and bully teams with better players.

I''m not saying I want us to turn into Stoke circa 2009 but we really have to add some running power and players who thrive on the counter into our team!