Sign in to follow this  
pete

Will Josh Murphy make it ?

Its about mental preparation.  He didn''t look as if he expected to play to me.  Brought on early in the game when maybe all he expected to do was come on near the end for a few minutes.  He has the ability, as does Jacob.  He was given an integral role to play from early on and wasn''t at the races.  He will learn from that, I think. Jacob deservedly got his opportunity last week and shined against weak opposition.  Josh probably would have done as well in those circumstances. This was a different type of game and circumstances.  Writing him off because of Saturday is ridiculous. None of the team looked great. Going to write all of them off? 

I think what got to me was that his attitude just wasn''t right, he was walking around the pitch like he was Ronaldo. And very often just jogging back and lazily putting a foot in when Wednesday attacked.

In this league you need to work hard, you cannot afford to carry any players, everyone must be prepared to put the graft in. On Saturday evening I did not see that kind of display from Josh.

Now it''s foolish to write him off after one game, especially as no-one played particularly well that evening. But to me, he has a little bit of Patrick Bamford about him, which is a kind of arrogant swagger.

Now having a swagger is fine, IF you have the unquestionable talent to back it up. I''m not sure either of these players do, at least not right now.

We will see how his season progresses.

I don''t see anything wrong with constructively criticising Josh Murphy. If he was a player we''d bought in (like Redmond for example), there would be fans happily criticising him on this board. The fact that he''s "one of our own" shouldn''t mean he''s not liable to criticism.

Personally I thought he was poor last time for us in the Championship, and two years on there hasn''t been much improvement. Lots of pace but no real intelligence. He doesn''t seem willing or able to influence the game, he backs out of challenges and looks a bit lost. Maybe he lacks confidence. He''s 21 years old and at the stage where he needs to be developing - and I don''t think he is. I''ll be delighted if I''m wrong and will hold my hands up but I don''t think he''ll make it at Norwich. Jacob on the other hand seems to have a bit more about him.

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]I don''t see anything wrong with constructively criticising Josh Murphy. If he was a player we''d bought in (like Redmond for example), there would be fans happily criticising him on this board. The fact that he''s "one of our own" shouldn''t mean he''s not liable to criticism.

Personally I thought he was poor last time for us in the Championship, and two years on there hasn''t been much improvement. Lots of pace but no real intelligence. He doesn''t seem willing or able to influence the game, he backs out of challenges and looks a bit lost. Maybe he lacks confidence. He''s 21 years old and at the stage where he needs to be developing - and I don''t think he is. I''ll be delighted if I''m wrong and will hold my hands up but I don''t think he''ll make it at Norwich. Jacob on the other hand seems to have a bit more about him.[/quote]

Of course he''s not above criticism, but there''s been a lot of "verdict in" nonsense posted after one competitive game this season for each twin, that''s plainly stupid. If his performances are like this over 4 or 5 games that''s fine, but it''s 60mins. I kept alittle look at both Coventry and Mk Dons forums last season to see what they thought both sets of fans were very split and frustrated by their lack of consistency, let''s wait and see on both Jacob and Josh before getting to excited or down on them one way or the other.

He definitely looked a bit lightweight but I''m not sure about this idea he shirked tackles- if anything he was a bit over eager in this department and kept giving away freekicks.

He''s obviously got talent and to say there has been no improvement in two years based off one 60 minute performance against a very good defence is a bit much. He didn''t grab the game by the scruff of the neck like his brother last week but this was a very different game.

I''d expect him to be starting against Coventry- will be interesting to see how he does there.