Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Coventry Feedback

A semi-decent run out, but some work to be done if we are to hit the ground running at the start of the season, although I''m sure Saturday will be a much sterner test. We looked tighter and fitter than the last game I watched in Austria, but Coventry didn''t offer too much of a challenge overall.

GK:

McGovern - Certainly very loud was my initial impression, more so than I''ve seen of Ruddy lately. A bit hard to judge on one game, but it certainly looks like he has come here to challenge for no1 and made a few good saves including tipping a close range shot smartly over the bar in the second half and was only beaten once by a well struck free-kick that hit the bar - but it looked like he had it covered to me. We now have 3 very good keepers, and with Remi coming through the ranks surely someone has to leave on loan?

RB:

Whitts 1st Half - Certainly showed why he was kept on our books in the last two games. Very solid defensively and getting forward on a few occasions. Certainly looked the better option out of himself and Pinto with R.Martin looking to miss the start of the season. Pinto in second hald looked Okay, and that''s always been my issue with him. Got beaten a couple of times by their winger which is not what you want to be seeing!

Bassong & Bennett - Surely a straight fight to start with Klose and for me Bassong is winning this battle. Looked the better of the two last season, as always, Bennett''s distribution from the back is always questionable but both looked solid.

Olsson - Dead cert for left back and that won''t change. Toffolo also looked good in second half, making some great tackles which has always been my opinion. Would like to see him stay here as back up and get some gametime in the cups rather than another loan this season.

Godfrey - Heard his name a lot in pre-season and he duly delivered with a well taken goal. I imagine we''ll see more of him in time if he''s not sent out on loan.

Howson - easily our best midfielder. Solid as always and from memory only lost possession once! Mulumbu again looked decent in the second half as a deep holding midfielder. will we see more of him this season? I''m not convinced he is better than Tettey but clearly a good footballer if he can stay fit.

Dorrans - As with Howson, a solid midfielder who should be more than good enough to help us to promotion. Louis Thompson looked okay after coming on too and went close with a couple of long range shots.

Hoolahan - Cracking first half goal was Wes of old, and clearly demonstrated why we need to play him more next season. Maddison, however, looks very, very, very promising. Made a few poor decisions but overall looks very talented and could be a nice secret weapon to use!

Canos/Jacob - Canos looked good, just lacked a bit of end product. Clearly still getting used to playing out wide as kept looking to come inside but seems a decent signing but we need to be patient - he''s not the same player Redmond was. Jacob looked good too and took his goal well. Like his brother will be a very good impact sub option.

Vadis/Josh - always felt he same about ol'' Vadis, a hugely talented footballer but doesn''t really seem to fit anywhere on the pitch. Was operating on the left of the attacking three and played okay, but that was it really. Floated in and out of the game without really doing much but what he did was good, simple passing. I worry if we lose Brady with Jarvis injured we have no direct options for the wings other than the Murphy''s who will need to step up.

Lafferty/Morris - Laffs as always tried had, shot whenever he got the chance and probably should have scored a good chance that the keeper saved but never looked that dangerous. Likewise Morris, held the ball up well, but neither are in the same frame as Jerome and clearly shows we need to move quickly to bring in someone who is going to get us goals!

Rudd - warmed the bench well, made some cracking cups of tea for the lads at half time.

Overall, a good run out and a decent look at some of our upcoming players. Saturday will be the real test where we''ll see Klose, Brady and Jerome back in action. But the questions remain who will start in goal, who will partner Klose, and will we sign someone to compete with Jerome?!

Ah balls, it appears you are right. Josh scored the second and Jacob the third. Not sure why I thought Godfrey scored, although I''m sure they said at the ground it was Godfrey! In any case, Godfrey looked very composed and certainly looked a more mature football than his age!

It is a bit confusing as the clubs official twitter said something about a ''great finish'' by him at some point. Maybe they announced it wrong at the ground?

Good write up though, glad to hear a few of the fringe players stepped up!

I was at the game last night. Pretty accurate write up AJ!

It was announced at the ground the Godfrey scored the second, which had me and my son rather confused as we watched excellent interplay between both Murphy''s and Morris, in the build up to the goal. I said I thought Jacob had scored it, so stunned when announced as Godfrey.

Anyhow, Godfrey looked really assured at the back. He has good size, showed good awareness and has some pace. Very promising player!

McGovern did ok, but looks a bit on the small size. He will be put under a lot of pressure in the area by teams with big strikers.

Both Whittaker and Pinto got beaten by the wingers, but is to be expected occasionally. Pinto''s recovery is better though. He is ahead for me in the RB position.

It is a toss up between Bennett and Bassong for the other CB slot. Bassong looked good and was very vocal, but Bennett is quicker and has better positioning. Either one is more than capable in the Championship.

Wes looked really sharp. By far the sharpest of the Norwich players last night. Great goal and seems to be brimming with confidence after an excellent Euros.

Maddison looks as though he could be a real gem! Will help take the pressure of Wes and another creative option. Excited by his performance!

Canos was well marshalled by Coventry''s #3. However he was positive with his intent and has some pace, but end product needs to improve.

The Murphy''s really did inject some pace and intent in the second half and would have to be viable options for the season. Loaning them out again would be a real waste IMO.

Both Lafferty and Morris got little supply in the right areas, which is a concern. This will need to improve if we are to score the goals we need to go up.

I am looking forward to Saturday to see the rest of the squad. It was evident to me, however that even with Jerome, if we are going to play 1 up, we need another striker, but one that fits the system.

Oh and I was very impressed by the Coventry #3. He was strong, quick, was good on the ball and tracked defensively really well!

Snake

I notice that we are off again on the "end product" stuff , now with Canos. We had it throughout with Redmond , and those of us old enough will recall the same issues with many players before , even Fox and Eadie were at time criticised for this.

But what exactly is "end product" , and how is this affected by playing one up front? Do we mean crossing? Passing in general? Amazing how "end product" gets easier when you have three players in the box to receive the cross , all of whom can head the ball?

Hope we don''t get too caught up in this again.

I understand your qualms with the term ''end product'' GPB, so I will clarify myself.

In the case of Canos, last night, I was referring to his delivery into the box after creating a decent opportunity to provide a delivery into a dangerous area.

You are correct that having more attacking players in the box, helps, however when crosses overshoot the box, fail to beat the first defender often and even go straight out of play, no amount of attacking players in the box is going to make a difference.

Last night was the first time I had really watched Canos and so I was merely commenting on what I saw. It was not an indictment on what he is capable of.

A question for you GPB. Do you feel our wide players have been good enough with their delivery over the last few years or not?

Snake