Sign in to follow this  
carrow77

Unpredictable league means higher average required?

Great weekend for us so far, and whilst there is a long way to go will the unpredictable nature of the league mean a higher points tally will be required to stay in the league this year?

If the top teams keep faultering the average at the top will be lower and at the bottom will be higher therefore today''s result and those against teams around us will be vital as always

Yours stating the pleading obvious and Merry Xmas!

[quote user="carrow77"]Great weekend for us so far, and whilst there is a long way to go will the unpredictable nature of the league mean a higher points tally will be required to stay in the league this year?

If the top teams keep faultering the average at the top will be lower and at the bottom will be higher therefore today''s result and those against teams around us will be vital as always

Yours stating the pleading obvious and Merry Xmas![/quote]Absolute nonsense, as the facts will show.With 17 games gone and Swansea yet to play, the bottom 6 have amassed 85 points this season. Third bottom has 14 points and the sum total of the bottom three (with Swansea yet to play) is 33 pointsLast year with 17 games on the clock the bottom 6 had amassed 87 points. Third bottom was on 15 points and the sum total of the bottom 3 was 38 points.There is absolutely no sign that it will require a higher total to stay up this season. I''d settle for 38 points now and be fairly confident that it will be enough.

You''re right to put it into context Ricardo, but there might be something in what the OP says. Only because in the last few weeks some of the teams at the bottom have gone on mini-runs.

There''s Bournemouth with 3 wins in a row, Newcastle with 2 wins in a row, hell, even us with a couple of draws and a win.

That might just be a short term thing, but if it lasts much longer it could drag the total of points required for safety up.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]You''re right to put it into context Ricardo, but there might be something in what the OP says. Only because in the last few weeks some of the teams at the bottom have gone on mini-runs.

There''s Bournemouth with 3 wins in a row, Newcastle with 2 wins in a row, hell, even us with a couple of draws and a win.

That might just be a short term thing, but if it lasts much longer it could drag the total of points required for safety up.[/quote]You can feel safely assured that it won''t.At least 5 teams will score below 40 points this season.

Yeah whilst I understand the ops logic, it is largely in the (upper) middle of the table where I believe the "extra" points are going (please don''t check the stats Ricardo :) ). Usually you''ll have the big 4/5 and spurs there or there abouts, possibly an unexpected name then a bit of a gap.

I haven''t checked the league table (so probably talking out of my r''s ) but it seems closer at the top end this year.

Urgh, doesn''t the the word unpredictable mean that it cant be predicted, so there''s no point trying to predict how many points we''ll need to stay up.

It''s tight at the top of the Championship, but I expect Boro to achieve automatic Promotion......I just hope we don''t pass them on the way down......