Sign in to follow this  
MmmmGravy

Other teams business

Having a little look at the teams who are going to be in and around us this season in terms of league position:

Watford - currently looking for their 13th player this window. Along with a new manager, this is completely bonkers.

Bournemouth - Yes, they''re wealthy. They bought Mings for £8m(!!), Bistin on a free, but, they have also bought Gradel and Tomlin, who arguably could have improved out squad.

Sunderland - They''re are a poor team. But I wouldn''t write them off just yet. They''ve bought decent players such as Kaboul, Coates, Lens, M''Vila. They''ve spent a fair amount of money on some decent players, who again, could have improved our squad.

West Brom - They''ve bought Chester, Rondon, McClean and Lambert. Don''t think they''ve done any better than we have. Rondon could come good, but bit of an unknown.

Crystal Palace - Arguably one of the top performers this window. Bringing in Wickham, Bamford, Sako and Cabaye they''ve done really well. You could argue the point that any of these players would strengthen our team.

Stoke - Another top performer. Really settled into the league now and we''ll probably be no where near them. But, bringing in Shaqiri, Afellay, van Ginkel, Wollscheid and Joselu makes a real force in this league.

Leicester - Okazaki, Inler, Fuchs, Kante, Huth. Good players, some risks from Italy etc but splashing the cash this window, along with Kramaric in January could just see them safe for this season.

Aston Villa - Amavi, Gueye, Jordan Ayew, Gestede, Veretout, Sinclair, Richards, Bunn, Crespo. Sherwood has gone a little crazy with the new faces, but Villa probably needed it. A lot of these players are unknowns and potential flops. But buys such as Sinclair, Richards are strong acquisitions.

Newcastle - Really splashed the cash this window. A quick add up (don''t shoot me if I''m wrong..) they''ve spent just shy of £50m, on 4 players. Wijanldum, Mitrovic, Thauvin and Mbemba. These are 50/50 on how they will perform. Wijanldum looks a very good player, and will do well in the Premier League. Mitrovic has potential, if he turns down the aggression. Mbemba, I can''t comment on as I havent seen him, along with Thauvin.

Norwich City - Now we get to us. We''ve got Brady, Dorrans, Mulumbu, Wisdom, Kean. While I think this is ''OK'' for a promoted team, and any other season I''m sure everyone would agree that these are good signings, we haven''t compared to the money everyone around us is spending. You could argue that our squad was/is better than Bournemouth''s anyway, but they''ve splashed out and spent the cash to improve. In the next 10 days we need to turn up the heat, get the cheque book out and start some serious negotiations.

Seeing it written down like that, there is a lot of poor looking buys there. Palace looked good until they bought wickham but that midfield might make even him look good. Shaquiri needs to pull his finger out after 2 disappointing years but looks good business and Rondon should see west brom safe. Past that, I''m not overly worried about any of that business. Remember Villa have their best 2 players to replace and Leicester their best.

I always wonder how do people know so much about all these players ? Maybe I''d know more if I watched the champions league or foreign leagues on Sky but my time watching footie is strictly limited and mainly is watching City at games or when we''re on Sky.

So when people can confidently give opinions on players like Rondon or Wijanldum, I have absolutely no idea whether they''re right or not, because I''ve never heard of them.

I think it''s par for the course in the Prem now with the TV money - ignoring the top 6 (who are in a category of their own for transfers really), all the rest, including the newly promoted teams, bring in plenty of new players. I think on paper our signings in the season we were relegated under Hughton looked the best of that spell in the Prem.

I guess eventually the extra money must improve the quality of the lower Prem teams, and maybe this year we''ll see it happen ? The concern is that the standard is getting higher so it will be tougher to survive than when we were relegated under Hughton.

I am still comfortable with our squad overall. A new striker as backup/competition for Jerome is essential for me, plus I think we could do with a quality CB addition; anyone else like Antonio would just be a nice to have if we can get someone who will improve the squad. If we don''t sign anyone between now and the end of the window, then yes, I will be worried.