Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Tonight's friendly v Cambridge

[quote user="TheTetteyRole"]1-3. Wolf assisting Toffolo.[/quote]His goal was basically a tap in, but this assist was nice movement from him.[url]https://youtu.be/Upszf-oX3ko[/url]

[quote user="Indy"]It''s a no brainer RVW is being paid and is as good as any striker we have, like it or not. To write him off as some have is just stupid, with the right service there is nothing to say he won''t bag 10 goals....Jerome is proof of that, never prolific yet under Neil and in the right attacking formation scored 21 goals.

If no team comes in for RVW then he will be given the same, if not more chance by AN as there will be lass funds to buy an alternative striker.

I think there''s more chance of seeing Grabben being sold along with Laffs.

It''s not romantic nonsense by the supporters to want a player to find his form and score the goals we all know he can.

Maybe he will go and maybe he won''t but deserves the same chance as others players.[/quote]

Hahahaha! Grabban more likely to be sold than RVW?!!!

I am literally crying I am laughing so hard.

AN''s two preferred strikers last season? Grabban and Jerome. There is even some evidence to Suggest he favours Grabban.

I along with most others wanted RVW sold but if he''s still here when season starts then I believe he could be good for us.

Last time in Premiership tactics played a large part in his performances. Game after game I could see his frustration at having to go back to his own penalty area to get the ball then losing it going forward. We just didn''t play to his strengths and then the bookings he got were either frustration tackles or striker tackles in his own half.

Given the right supply from midfield I believe the goals will come.

[quote user="zippy23255"]I along with most others wanted RVW sold but if he''s still here when season starts then I believe he could be good for us.

Last time in Premiership tactics played a large part in his performances. Game after game I could see his frustration at having to go back to his own penalty area to get the ball then losing it going forward. We just didn''t play to his strengths
and then the bookings he got were either frustration tackles or striker tackles in his own half.

Given the right supply from midfield I believe the goals will come.[/quote]That is certainly true to an extent. And I would expect our tactics to be a bit less cautious with Neil in charge. But it is a bit of a myth that we never tried to play to van Wolfswinkel''s supposed strengths, and that he was always battling alone up front. I haven''t the time to study the line-ups for every game from that season, but a quick look found six games in which he started alongside another striker - usually Elmander - and there were probably more. And he didn''t score in any of those.And although our approach may be more positive under Neil, if his preferred starting system in the Championship was one up front then I doubt he will often change that for the Premier League. And the reality seems to be - based on his time with us and at St-Etienne, that van Wolfswinkel doesn''t have strengths plural but a strength singular - that of the pure goalscorer.