Sign in to follow this  
St.John Cooper

Free speech

Lots of things are said and suggested on this forum, some of them one will agree on others you wont.  Sometimes people say outrageous things to get a discussion going, to get peoples opinions. The forum is not about only praising City or only criticising them...but both.  Now while I understand people are passionate about our club, but all the talk of boring, ban this member from the board, you talk rubbish or worse you are not a loyal supporter or supporter at all is simply idiotic.

Every one has a right to their own opinions and to state them openly, if you dont like them dont reply or dont read the post but allow free speech, otherwise this board will turn into Norwich can Never do anything wrong, we are so great forum!

Let the people speak...and lets have some good debate

OTBC

St.John

You seem to be having a bit of trouble understanding the concept of free speech St. John.

Of course you are free to come on here and say whatever you want (within reason). But others are also free to come on here and say they think you are talking rubbish.

That''s what free speech means!!!!

[quote]Lots of things are said and suggested on this forum, some of them one will agree on others you wont. Sometimes people say outrageous things to get a discussion going, to get peoples opinions. The for...[/quote]

Cor, wish I''d said this.

Bloody brilliant post St John.

Thanks wiz you seemed to understand what I was saying, Mr Rosario you seem to misunderstand me, I ask for debate, simply replying rubbish is not really that although you are right it is still free speech, just not very articulate however. But there have been posts saying dont come on the board, you should be banned, this is not free speech as it is trying to get people banned from the board therefore they will no longer be free to speak.

Listen to what people have to say and try to reply with a well thought out or intelligent argument, you gain a lot more respect that way and it makes for good reading.

OTBC

St.John

Freedom of speech does not mean you are entitled to say what you want and not get called up on it. It means that you can say what you want, and others can tell you if they think you are being stupid.

If you want better reasoned responses, post better reasoned arguments. Posting a message entitled "Rubbish" is going to get strong responses and cause arguments, and divide the ''pro'' and ''anti'' worthy posters further. Posting a message questioning the formation or coaching with a reasoned argument gets well reasoned responses with no arguments and name calling, and enables ''pro'' and ''anti'' Worthy posters to engage in debate - check the post "We have the players but not the Management" for an example.

I think you are a little too sensitive Mr St John.

''Free Speech'' means you have the right to speak your mind. So when I posted under your topic titled ''Rubbish'' and disagreed with your opinion I was exercising my own right to free speech.

In every walk of life you get people with different views on the same subject. And on here that is what makes this forum great. If we all shared the same beliefs of our football team where would the fun be in discussing it?

Just learn that you have your views and others will look sometimes disagree. You do not have to come on here with a topic telling us how this forum works as for the most part we know and do respect our right to ''Free Speech''

Of course I am for reasoned argument rather than abuse or just saying ''rubbish'' St John and I also agree that if you are calling for people to be banned just because you don''t agree with what they are saying then you are obviously against free speech.

I suppose I disagreed slightly with the last paragraph of your original post when you seemed to be implying that those who are in support of the club are somehow against free speech.

I''ve been accused of blind loyalty to the club, being a stooge of the board and of being the love child of Neil Doncaster (OK I made that up) at various times in the past for being supportive of Worthy/the board/the players etc.

I''m quite grown up enough to take such abuse, but those who who give it out shouldn''t complain if they get labelled as a bunch of moaning, negative, whingers in return.

Rob and Putney

I actually was not reffering to replys I got regading my post headed Rubbish I was infact happy it provoked so much good debate.  It was some other posts I was talking about, I take no offence in some one telling me my ideas are stupid or that they disagree. I just felt that some and only some peole on certain posts were taking things the wrong way and were trying to perhaps get peole blocked from the forum because of thir views..right or wrong, regardless if I agree or disagree with them. Putney at now time in my Rubbish post did I call names say Worthy must go I just stated facts mostly and my concern with the first 3 results. 

Please I just want you to understand that all views are valid, but Rob you do rather contradict yourself, you say you have the right to critisise my post which indeed you do and I welcome, you like me seem to agree with free speech and then finish by telling me I cant come on here with a post "Free speech"

I understand where you are all coming from but lets try and keep the posts intresting if nothing else, trying to get someone kicked out of the forum in my opinion is not that

OTBC

St.John

Rob and Putney

I actually was not reffering to replys I got regading my post headed Rubbish I was infact happy it provoked so much good debate.  It was some other posts I was talking about, I take no offence in some one telling me my ideas are stupid or that they disagree. I just felt that some and only some peole on certain posts were taking things the wrong way and were trying to perhaps get peole blocked from the forum because of thir views..right or wrong, regardless if I agree or disagree with them. Putney at now time in my Rubbish post did I call names say Worthy must go I just stated facts mostly and my concern with the first 3 results. 

Please I just want you to understand that all views are valid, but Rob you do rather contradict yourself, you say you have the right to critisise my post which indeed you do and I welcome, you like me seem to agree with free speech and then finish by telling me I cant come on here with a post "Free speech"

I understand where you are all coming from but lets try and keep the posts intresting if nothing else, trying to get someone kicked out of the forum in my opinion is not that

OTBC

St.John

Do people really post rubbish just to get a debate going - even if they don''t necessarily agree with what they are saying?

How bored must you be?

As for opinions you do not have to go to any games to have an opinion - but if you are commenting on a particular player or performance and didn''t see it then it is not a particularly informed one and will carry much less weight than someone who was there.  Different people who were there will have different opinions of the same game and the same player.

In the first 30 minutes against Palace last Saturday we played better than we did than against Charlton or Birmingham at the end of last season.

We had 19 attempts against Crewe and could have won 5-2 easily, but we didn''t.

We were poor against Coventry but still had 5 good chances compared to their 2.

Eastenders was rubbish last night - but then again I didn''t watch it.

Good post Mr Rosario, for the record I did not mean that if you are for the club you are against free speech, thanks for your understanding and like you I am far to big, run a business in Dubai to get offended by names,

Enjoy the posts breaks my board report nicely

OTBC

St.John

I think St.John is just trying to ask for a reasoned arguement from some posters.  I am pretty sure he is refering to the sort one line replies of "Well why don''t you go support Ipswich then".

There is nothing worse than posting (or reading) a well reasoned arguement just for someone to turn round and reply with "You don''t know what you are talking about!" or something similar without even justifying why you feel that is the case.  If you disagree with someone then fine but at least give a reason why.

[quote]Do people really post rubbish just to get a debate going - even if they don''t necessarily agree with what they are saying? How bored must you be? As for opinions you do not have to go to any games t...[/quote]

Here we go again, another ''I''m better than you'' type of post by Nobby.

I suppose this is the price of free speech I guess.

I think a large part of the problem is that people are - and please forgive the corporate talk here - reactive and not proactive. We''re too quick to jump on a point and argue it to death, rather than look at what has actually been said in the original post and come up with a well-written and constructive argument in response.

Its far easier to write "rubbish" than anything with more than one paragraph, especially since a lot of people on here are probably at work and conscious of wasting time, or don''t have a lot of time to actually think about what they''re going to write. Or simply can''t be arsed to, as I sometimes feel!

Of course, there''s no problem with that - as people have pointed out, being able to call someone''s post rubbish is indeed free speech, but I think most of us would prefer to know why its rubbish.  We''ve already shown that a well-constructed argument can turn people''s views - take Wiz''s recent Worthy Out thread, sorry to use you as an example, mate - and make them see the error of their ways.  Unfortunately some people saw fit to write instead that Wiz should be banned from these boards! Hardly constructive.  (Admittedly my reply wasn''t exactly well-written, but I was in the "can''t be arsed" stage...)

[quote]Do people really post rubbish just to get a debate going - even if they don''t necessarily agree with what they are saying? How bored must you be? As for opinions you do not have to go to any games t...[/quote]

Your third paragraph is pretty much what Dicky and myself have been trying to say on another thread, but somehow its been turned around into "we''re better supporters than you"??? Despite numerous notes to the contrary...

But, frankly, I''m bored of trying to explain the same thing again and again, people can read into it what they will, I know what I mean, and that is by no means belittling any other posters...

Thank-you Mr Monkey of Evilness.

I can now have an informed opinion of "Lost" on Channel 4 as I watched the first half of the Pilot last night - will try and catch up with Pilot part 2 before tonights first episode!

Presume the monster thing is 1st Wizard trying to scare of the intruders from his island / message board!!!!