Sign in to follow this  
crabbycanary

Is relegation all that bad?

[quote user="Chip20"]It''s so good to read some of the well-written and sensible posts above after so much petulant sniping and gnashing of teeth over the past couple of seasons. I agree with almost all of the points already made. For me, relegation feels unpleasant because it is failure and that is never a nice feeling. There''s also the nagging feeling of what could have been and a disappointing sense that we have under-performed after the optimism of last summer.

On the flip side, I have experienced several previous relegations and I know that a week or two into the summer break I will regain the excitement and optimism of building up to a new season and wondering what lies ahead. In common with many above I enjoy the chase more than the prize, so to speak. Of course I want my club to be competing against the elite and giving a favourable account of themselves (this past season has been largely disappointing in that respect), but I enjoyed many of our Championship campaigns as much (and more, where successful) than our recent stints in the PL. Even if we are crap for the next five seasons, I know our time will come again eventually.

Events in my personal life over this past month have put football into even clearer perspective than ever before for me. I nearly lost my new baby to a serious congenital heart condition and his future is still very much in the balance. I just can''t get worked up over which division my team is playing in through any given season when I am focused on making the most of every minute my boy is alive. Going forward, I couldn''t care less whether NCFC are plying their trade in the Premier League or in the Conference, as long as he is around to witness it.[/quote]Good post.For those of us who''ve seen decades of NCFC then this season''s likely relegation is all par for the course. For younger supporters who haven''t witnessed our many years of success it does of course seem much worse.Regarding your personal problems I hope all goes well for you and your family. I too have a family member with a congenital heart problem which has thankfully been successfully managed for many years.Obviously David McNally''s quip about relegation being " worse than death " was meant to be taken light-heartedly but for some of us football really isn''t the most important thing in life.

I sincerely hope that your boy comes through this and yes you are right it does throw perspective on the relegation issue at present.

Medical staff and procedures are better trained and having more success than ever, always remain hopeful and one thing i have learnt is if you don`t hear an answer you like go seek advice from someone else as these people are human and all opinions differ, i am fortunate to still be here but that was because i chose another avenue of medical advice, really hope it goes well for you.

Best wishes from me and my family

This puts it in perspective, it is only football and we can switch in or out if we want.

To me there is an entirely different buzz about being in the Prem. Walking down Riverside on a sunny Saturday, the crowds outside the pubs, the anticipation of seeing the "stars" gracing our patch. Over the years we''ve seen many of the greats of the Prem/Div One and there is something special about seeing our NCFC line up against them, the thrill of an unlikely win. Can we really beat the reigning Champions, will we be on MOTD reliving a famous win over a European great? Seeing out the last 10 minutes to cling on, anyone remember Man Utd in ''05 with their big guns on the pitch to rescue something for Sir Alex after Leon and Dean had put us 2 up? Amazing. That''s what I''ll miss. Derby, Forest et al may be our peers but it isn''t the same.

Thanks for the thoughts; guys. I really appreciate it.

Back to the football, though, I''m with Tumbleweed here too. There''s little to compete with the feeling of your team pulling off an unlikely victory against the odds; especially if the performance has really merited it. It''s been all too infrequent this season, though, and I''ve not enjoyed it as much as I have others. The team just don''t seem to have been able to raise their game often enough this time (and I really wish to avoid rehashing tired debates about why that is).

Whatever happens next season, I will be a happy bunny as long as NCFC are in with a chance of promotion/play off place this time next year. That''s where the best excitement and entertainment comes from. If we have nothing to play for then chances are it will have been a fairly dull season and I''ll already be looking forward to the next one with renewed optimism.

Oh, and even though the odds are clearly stacked heavily against us, I''ve still not given up hope entirely that we can scrape through. There must be one massive result in us, surely? One to make up for the disappointments so far.

It''s not over until the fat lady...says so.