Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Chris Hughton is @#£%&#£ Clueless

Morty,

Sounds like we are waging peace on each other! And IMO, being a man manager and truly understanding the part the brain plays in perfromance are not neceassrily mutually exclusive or inextricably linked. You can rally the troops through example, or even table thumping but it doesn''t mean you understand why it has worked, and it won''t always. You could also have a deep understanding of how the brain works but without the man management skills to get others to buy in then that won''t always work either.

Football is a game which employs very few psychologists, when compared with many other sports, imo this is because a host of managers think they get it, when in fact they don''t.. If they did they wouldn''t do or say half the things they do.

Turning to pressure, it only exist in one place, and can only exist in one place, your brain and who is the only person that makes the neural connections in your brain, you and thank ''f'' for that. So, this means we all create our own pressure/stress/excitement/joy, etc. etc. This must be true because different people fell diffrent levels of pressure/stress/excitement and dare I say it joy!

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

Sounds like we are waging peace on each other! And IMO, being a man manager and truly understanding the part the brain plays in perfromance are not neceassrily mutually exclusive or inextricably linked. You can rally the troops through example, or even table thumping but it doesn''t mean you understand why it has worked, and it won''t always. You could also have a deep understanding of how the brain works but without the man management skills to get others to buy in then that won''t always work either.

Football is a game which employs very few psychologists, when compared with many other sports, imo this is because a host of managers think they get it, when in fact they don''t.. If they did they wouldn''t do or say half the things they do.

Turning to pressure, it only exist in one place, and can only exist in one place, your brain and who is the only person that makes the neural connections in your brain, you and thank ''f'' for that. So, this means we all create our own pressure/stress/excitement/joy, etc. etc. This must be true because different people fell diffrent levels of pressure/stress/excitement and dare I say it joy![/quote]We''re debating a point, its what this place used to be about[;)]Players, on the whole, are fairly uncomplicated characters. Some respond best to an arm around them, some to the hairdrier treatment. The mark of a good manager (in any walk of life) is knowing who needs what, and when.Lambert was very good at it. Hughton perhaps less so. That said I have seen no evidence that the players are no longer playing for him, so you can''t rule out any motivational skills whatsoever.

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

Turning to pressure, it only exist in one place, and can only exist in one place, your brain and who is the only person that makes the neural connections in your brain, you and thank ''f'' for that. So, this means we all create our own pressure/stress/excitement/joy, etc. etc. This must be true because different people fell diffrent levels of pressure/stress/excitement and dare I say it joy![/quote]We''re debating a point, its what this place used to be about[;)]Players, on the whole, are fairly uncomplicated characters. Some respond best to an arm around them, some to the hairdrier treatment. The mark of a good manager (in any walk of life) is knowing who needs what, and when.Lambert was very good at it. Hughton perhaps less so. That said I have seen no evidence that the players are no longer playing for him, so you can''t rule out any motivational skills whatsoever.

Hulll, Swansea, palace certainly do under pullis but less passing, Sunderland under the magnificent one, Villa and lambert certainly did that with us.

Most teams do it now. When we do it, we look better, ala man city and man united for a half.

Morty,

By my phrase, "Waging Peace on each other" I mean we are debating and that in general we agree are on the same page, the same side.

My opinion of PL, is that he was a very good table thumper type of manager here, not sure this is working for him at Villa so well though. CH in my opinion is well liked as an individual by the players and consequently they want to well for him but I feel he doesn''t fully inderstand the negative impact some of his words have on them, which of course works against their desire to do well for him (not forgetting of course they want to do well for themselves too).

[quote user="Ray"]Morty,

By my phrase, "Waging Peace on each other" I mean we are debating and that in general we agree are on the same page, the same side.

My opinion of PL, is that he was a very good table thumper type of manager here, not sure this is working for him at Villa so well though. CH in my opinion is well liked as an individual by the players and consequently they want to well for him but I feel he doesn''t fully inderstand the negative impact some of his words have on them, which of course works against their desire to do well for him (not forgetting of course they want to do well for themselves too).[/quote][Y]The thing is Ray, we have no idea what goes on behind closed doors, and what goes on in players heads.Hughton might be saying to them "Yeah, I trot out any old carp that the media want to hear, pay it no attention"

Morty,

There I differ with you on a number of the points you made and I know he doesn''t say anything different to the players and says pretty much the same, or at times, worse, or worse acording to me.

[quote user="chicken"]I think that if you want to raise the tempo of the game Howson for Hoolahan is a good choice.

Howson may not have the individual skill of Hoolahan and the momentary brilliance, but I think he is a better all round team player. He never seems to stop running and tries to keep passing. He''s more physical as well.

I didn''t think it was a bad substitution. I don''t even think it was risky, and don''t feel it lead to the goal. It''s not like the formation changed.

And by the way I thought he got that spot on. When they went down to ten men he knew the space would open up out wide so threw on two strikers. It nearly paid off, but it didn''t.

After the first half I don''t think you could really question taking anyone off, it wasn''t like anyone was having a particular blinder apart from maybe Ruddy.

If I''m honest, looking at Redmond, I would have started with fresh legs and had Pilkington out on the wing. Redmond coming on for the last 20-25 would have really taken it''s toll on tired old legs.

Although saying that I guess you could have kept RVW on and brought Pilkington on out wide.

As for Snoddy, he gets a lot of stick but the reality is at the moment he is one of the few players looking likely to create a goal-scoring chance or to score himself.[/quote]
Not trying to twist your words here Chicken, and thats why I have quoted the whole post, but does this not sum up CH''s time at Norwich perfectly?

Really enjoyed reading the thoughts of Ray and Morty on this subject

Ray, you talk as if you ''know'' certain stuff, about what Hughton says to the players, is that right?

The psychology fascinates me and is very interesting. When I played sport to a reasonably high level, it was the ''mental'' side that was the elephant in the room, and had to be worked on. I played a team game (Rugby Union) and there is always the individual fear of letting your team mates down, and executing certain moves/game plans etc etc correctly.

You can always be/get fit, but it''s the top ''2 inches'' that can make the difference, and the manager/coach, does play a part in that.

In a team game there are obviously differing characters and mindsets that have to be worked on in different ways, to achieve the team objective.

My eldest daughter does sport to a reasonably high level, and I spend a lot of time on her thought processes. Her Coach can do the fitness and technique, but, with all due respect, does not have a clue how to deal with the nuances of her persona, or indeed any of her Club mates.

Is Hughton a motivator? Can''t 100% answer that, because I am not there. Is Lambert a motivator?, same again. Any successful manager worth their salt would not lay open to the outside World, all their soul, as to how they run/drive their Team on, it would be naive to think otherwise.

Crabby,

I always use the phrase, IMO unless I absolutely know something.

Good luck to your daughter, she is priviliged to have a parent who understands the part ''thinking'' plays in performance.

Re your last point, nor would they lay open to the world how they stunt their team, but then they would have no understanding of the fact that they are having a negative impact.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Hulll, Swansea, palace certainly do under pullis but less passing, Sunderland under the magnificent one, Villa and lambert certainly did that with us. Most teams do it now. When we do it, we look better, ala man city and man united for a half.[/quote]

Perhaps aesthetically, but our performance this season seems to fit with the teams you mention without doing it. Is it simply a case of aesthetics?