Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Signings - known interest?

We are in the "can''t wait to see who we shall sign" period, and we shall look for scraps of information.

Two pieces come to mind:
Ward - central defender - there were strong rumours recently.
Ritchie (was this his first name?) - Irish right winger - Liverpool site earlier in the year spoke of our interest for the summer. Whether this was a loan or a transfer, I can''t remember.

We have little adequate cover in either position, and unless we try to operate with a squad even suicidally smaller than this season, we shall have to find at least five players.

Can anyone else chip in with names we have been linked to, rather than those "wouldn''t it be smashing if?"

Richie Partridge is his name. How much truth is still in it I am unsure. Can''t think of anyone else we have been linked with recently but I would like to sign Bentley because there is obvious talent there and a year in The Championship would do him good and I think he will get even better. He didn''t have a great year but it was his first time in a first team and in the Premiership.

Defender would be most welcome because we need to build around Shackell and chuck Fleming...

Matthew Gilks (GK) of Rochdale, Michael Chopra (Str) of Newcastle, Ritchie Partridge (RW) of Liverpool, Kevin McNaughton (RB) of Aberdeen and Freddy Eastwood (Str) of Southend are the rumours we''ve been affiliated with by the media.

We were linked with an egyptian player a while back. Here is the link:

http://skysports.planetfootball.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=247480

Haven''t heard anything more about him recently though.

[quote]We were linked with an egyptian player a while back. Here is the link: http://skysports.planetfootball.com/transfernews.asp?type=article&id=247480 Haven''t heard anything more about him recentl...[/quote]

Worthy catagorically denied interest in him.

How about Kenny Lunt from Crewe?

Should link up well with Deano and, if all else fails, it could result in the occasional Spoonerism during Roy Waller''s commentaries.

Incidentally, did anyone else hear dear old Roy refer to Graham Stuart as ''Ward'' during the whole of the first-half at Highbury?

[quote]Worthy catagorically denied interest in him.[/quote]

Re the Egyptian player;

you mean Worthy is "in denial"

That''s a joke if you didn''t realise!

There''s a lot of mentions here for strikers but I don''t see too many ideas for defenders.

Are we going to play 1, 0, 0, 10 next season ?

The only reason we''ll need strikers is if Ashton, McKenzie, or both, go.

[quote]How about Kenny Lunt from Crewe? Should link up well with Deano and, if all else fails, it could result in the occasional Spoonerism during Roy Waller''s commentaries. Incidentally, did anyone else h...[/quote]

Or lenny as he is known

OTBC

[quote]Matthew Gilks (GK) of Rochdale, Michael Chopra (Str) of Newcastle, Ritchie Partridge (RW) of Liverpool, Kevin McNaughton (RB) of Aberdeen and Freddy Eastwood (Str) of Southend are the rumours we''ve be...[/quote]

I''d rather we signed Zander Diamond from Aberdeen that Kevin McNaughton. He''s got far more promise.

Shopra would be a good purchase. He''s young, and he''ll learn from Ashton and McKenzie what work rate is all about.

I personally think we should look at getting Lupoli from Arsenal on loan, along with Guiseppe Rossi from Manchester Soccerballs. There''s a wealth of young talent sitting in the reserves at the top 3 clubs. Surely Worthy could do worse than mining these resources to give them invaluable experience. Jarosick at Chelsea could also be an option.

Well Chopra has been offered a 1 year extension to his contract and i think he is going to take it, i would have fancied us to sign him if he was on a bozzy.

Partridge can is a traditional, pacey, tricky winger who can play on the left and right. He would be a good signing imo as although he hasnt played much for Liverpool that don''t keep a player in their squad for the length of time they have (he is 25) if he was''nt any good. Would be affordable too i reckon and give us pace on the right as well as cover for Hux should he get injured, as we don''t have any other pacey, tricky players to replace him if he gets crocked.

Rohan Ricketts is another one who is available and well worth a look.

Also we were linked with a Hertha Berlin Hungarian, midfielder called Pal Dardai ealier in the season, He is a Gary Holt style work horse and is the anchor of the Hungarian midfield. He fallen out of favour at Berlin but i can''t see Worthy signing him as it is not his style and we are in the Championship. The links with him are on Planet Football under the German footy section if anyone is interested in knowing more.