Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

We will survive - here's why

In the last few weeks, even allowing for the desperation felt after the Villa game, my confidence has grown that we will survive. Here''s my view of the situation. Please note that I have only considered things from a Norwich point of view and have ignored what other teams might or might not do as at this stage I think that is irrelevant.

Goals - we are now scoring goals - 7 in the last 3 matches and even though we drew a blank at Everton we could have had 3 or 4. Furthermore, Dean Ashton is yet to get into gear, give him a couple more games and he will start performing to his true potential.

Team Spirit - the last 3 games have highlighted the fact that we have a fantastic team spirit and this is getting stronger every week - we don''t give up impossible situations, everyone pulls together and we are fighting for everything.

Luck - at last our luck is turning. Right from the start of the season we have not had our fair share of good fortune. Even going back to the Man U game, we hit the bar, the ball came out, they hit the bar, the ball went in. There have been numerous instances all season long - dodgy corner given to Spurs resulting in a goal, etc etc. I''m sure I don''t need to expand on this.

Hucks - despite a recent lack of goals and a few missed sitters, Hucks remains our most important player. He is involved in almost every goal we score and in most of the chances we miss. The statistics shows he''s the most fouled player in the Premiership and this clearly demonstrates his class and how he worries the opposition.

Remaining Games - of the 12 games left, we play only 5 against teams in the top 8. Of these, 3 are at home. The remaining 7 games are against opposition that are hardly much better than us - even Newcastle & Man City are not what you would call unbeatable. If you include Fulham, Blackburn and Birmingham as still being relegation candidates, and after yesterday I do, then 5 of the last 12 games are against teams in the bottom seven "mini league".

Francis - undoubtably another key man who has the knack of scoring vital goals - he is only one behind the likes of Drogba, Ljunberg and Scholes in the leading goalscorers table.

Greeno - we might have the worst defensive record in the league but it would be a lot worse if we didn''t have Greeno.

Supporters - even allowing for those that have to leave early to "miss the traffic" - try the M25 every morning & night like I do and you might see how pathetic this "excuse" is - we are the best supporters in the league and we have a vital part to play.

Problem Areas - so we still have a few problems to sort out - the defence, set pieces, away form. However, I don''t see these as being unsurmountable issues. After all, we''ve lived with these deficiencies all season long and we''re still in there fighting. A slight improvement in any of these areas would useful though and if achieved, would I believe ensure that our Premiership status is retained.

Good post Making Plans.   Lets just hope that all goes to plan and the other teams dont suddently hit majestic form.  Must admit am a bit concerned to the way we were virtually outplayed yesterday and on that evidence West Brom could easily make up the three points.  It certainly is all still in the melting pot and only time will tell especially with us having to play Blackburn Palace and Saints (I''ll ignore the fact we still have to play Chelsea Man U and Arsenal) but there again so do the others. 

[quote]Good post Making Plans. Lets just hope that all goes to plan and the other teams dont suddently hit majestic form. Must admit am a bit concerned to the way we were virtually outplayed yesterday and...[/quote]

Thanks NavMan

Agree to some extent with your comments but not about WBA - if they can''t beat Palace with 10 men for most of the game and us, when we didn''t play well, then I feel there is no hope of them making any sort of recovery - I think in their last 2 games they''ve blown any chance they had of escaping

With regards Man U & Chelsea - both these are at home so they might be possible chances

I agree that things might be turning our way but we were worryingly outplayed and I trust that is a just one of those bad days at the office. However I do worry about Southampton. I caught some of their matches against Liverpool, Portsmouth and Everton and they just don''t look like a bottom three side. Yesterday they destroyed Everton, but  I leapt around my sitting room when that last minute equaliser from nowhere went in. I think they will pull themselves clear and we have to look to rise above Blackburn, Fulham, or Birmingham.

Superb post Making plans, it certainly gives me a fresh injetion of confidence and optimism. Your points are very valid and i also agree about west brom. they''ve come out of two key games with only one point. they will find it very difficult to dig themselves out of it but they can''t be ruled out. Fingers crossed andy johnson gets injured playing for england