Sign in to follow this  
Canary02 IV

What is success?

Due to the change of management I will be happy to stay in the league for this season.

We need to remember that Hughton came into a club made up of Lambert''s players and has had to adapt around this. I know he made a few signings but I am sure that he has bigger plans for the team over the summer. I also think he will have other tactical ideas, didn''t his Newcastle team score the most league goals in the season he took them back up?

So for now our more cautious approach is fine, but I expect us to be playing slightly differently/more offensively next season.

Although I don''t think our brand of football is that bad at all, yes there have been some poor games this season; Reading, West Ham, QPR away. But for every poor game there was a Swansea away or a Man City at home.

Similarly to last season we had plenty of poor games; Chelsea at home, West Brom at home, Blackburn away etc.

Its just we tend to remember the bigger games

Success for our club probably comes in stages.

1) Stay in the premier league long enough to pay off all of the debts so we can start from scratch again.

2) If the first goal is achieved (as it looks like it is) then stay in the premier league at all reasonable costs.

3) Become comfortable in the prem; comfortably mid table.

4) Hope to recuit and attract the sort of player that will maintain our position in the league as well as possibly push us on a bit.

5) Be a healthily run, well established premiership team.

All this talk of being able to compete with the likes of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs in terms of league position requires a lot of other success which is beyond our clubs means at this time. That is not to say we couldn''t have a good run one year and perhaps do an Everton and put pressure on the top six say, but at this time, without incredibly wealthy backers I don''t see it happening.

Success is being able to achieve your goals.

The clubs goals have been pretty well defined and as it stands we are ahead of schedule.

I don''t think people give enough of last seasons success to the ''momentum'' factor.

We were promoted with the following team (mainly):

Rudd, R.Martin, Barnett, Whitbread, Ward, Tierney, Surman, Fox, Crofts, Smith, Lappin, Hoolahan, Holt, C.Martin, Jackson.

Last season most of that team was still in place and you can''t help but feel that they did incredibly well last season - but perhaps a lot better than anyone could have expected.

This season was always going to be tough, a new manager who was going to have to sort the wheat from the chaff - but also in a manner that didn''t destroy the team spirit. If he had just burned through the squad getting rid of players left right and centre he could have destroyed this season before it started.

Instead he moved on players that were willing to move/wanting to move, kept players like Lappin who were willing to work and has slowly moved players on - some, like Lappin perhaps going on their own accord in search of regular footie.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Roodge+Baracouda- great posts![/quote]

Ditto.

Would only add what I''ve said elsewhere namely that there is a lot going on behind the scenes especially in the Academy and in scouting where Hughton is rebuilding neglected structures to make us a solid all round Premier Club.

There is no doubt that Hughton is here for the long haul and not to use us as a stepping stone to a "bigger" club.