Sign in to follow this  
Philipo87

Ryan Bennett

Having watched every game this season (due to being injured and unable to play at the minute) I am very surprised how bad Ryan Bennett is in the air considering his height! For a lad who is probs around 6ft 2 he really should be better than he is.90% of the time he goes for a header he has his hands around the striker and has got away with it for the majority of the season until the West Ham game. He also consistently loses what appear to be ''''easy'''' headers against shorter players. I am a centre back myself and have also played upfront for larges periods of my career also and know how much easier it is for a defender to win headers. Whilst playing centre back I would imagine I win 80% of headers I attempt against a striker, compared to when I play upfront I probably only win about 25%.Note: I am not saying he is a awful player and shouldnt be in the squad etc... I rate the lad from a defensive point of view on the deck, but in the air hes awful for his height.

Watching Garrido struggle to get off the deck more than an inch when Lukaku was closing in was pretty painful too..was screaming for him to jump and head that ball out against WBA..static.

Anyway, I don''t know about RB because I can''t say I''ve honestly noticed that problem, but I''ll pay more attention to it now

I think you''ve got to give credit to Lukaku for that, he''s a younger drogba who uses his strength to pull down defender (see MOTD last night).

As for Bennett although he''s played RB, he''s not got any of the attributes that a RB has and will be important for us as a CB in the future. He''s still young and has great potential and I think is our 2nd best CB behind Bassong.

For me, RB is a poor purchase. He is not getting much chances to play as cb, should get a chance vs Peterboro, but he is a poor defender in mye eyes. Not good in the air considering his height, and almost helpless on the ground, due to being rather slow. Distribution is a pain to watch, ref West Ham game.

Nowhere near PL class, and was massively overpriced when he came.

Sell

Have to agree with the above about Ryan Bennett being overpriced. By our standards we spent quite a bit of money on him and he really isn''t much to get excited about.

[quote user="Webbo118"]Could be our latest scapegoat ![/quote]

Not until Morison has gone....old habits die hard. I still find myself cursing Doherty when we concede goals, berating Andy Hughes if I see a player clap and if we put a crap cross in, well, you just know it''s Ian Henderson.