Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Now Hoots signings have bedded in I feel we have really moved on from last season and Lambert

Yes we may not be quite as potent as we were under Lambert in an attacking sense and the next stage of the project will be to be more aggressive against the lesser teams but how good is it that we are now gaining proper, deserved victories over some of the big sides. We are not pinching goals from set pieces and then riding our luck, we are not playing like some plucky lower league side in a cup tie, we are having even games against them, matching them in most areas and gaining deserved wins. The recent defensive record is nothing short of miraculous.

We all knew Bassong and Garrido were class after only a couple of games but the last couple of games Turner has arguably outperformed them (hats off to him didn;t think it was possible the way he started his career with us but he''s really turned it round) and Whittaker looks a really accomplished player.

Johnson and Tettey look really strong, Snod and Pilks both played really well and Holty and Wes just did what they do.

Lambert was a bold, inspirational and perhaps also a lucky manager but i am not convinced he would have brought us a defensive platform this season which would have enabled us to produce the results of the last month.

Fair play to the Hoot. Great work. Just need to build on it now by getting decent results at Everton and, more importantly, Southampton.

Under Lambert were a thrashing, untamed, young beast, now we''re growing into a calm, collected, dangerous juggernaut. I hold my hands up though, I did spit my dummy out on my Facebook status about Hughton after Liverpool. I apologise for that and I''ve thoroughly been put in my place which is great. OTBC.

Gotta agree with Jo.  Johnson has been brilliant alongside Tettey in these last 5 or 6 games. 

The defence have really sured up over the last few weeks.  And Whittaker has come in for 3 or 4 games and just slotted straight in.  I think some of last season regulars, such as Fox, Martin and Howson really have a tough job to get back in now.  Howson had a great chance at the end to wrap the game up, and completely fluffed his lines.  I''ve no doubt he can and will still be a big player for us, but he''ll know he''s gotta step up a gear or 2 if he wants to get back in.

We''re in a great situation now.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]The signing of Tettey has elevated Johnson into an undroppable (imo) first teamer.[/quote]

Johnson definitely thrives in the ''sitting 2'' formation (that sounds wrong doesn''t it?!). A real beast of a player alongside Tettey.

He must have realised that Tettey would get in the team meaning it was either him or Howson that would get dropped. Johnson played out of his skin when Tettey was on the sidelines and thankfully he has retained that standard.

[quote user="York Canary"]

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]The signing of Tettey has elevated Johnson into an undroppable (imo) first teamer.[/quote]

Johnson definitely thrives in the ''sitting 2'' formation (that sounds wrong doesn''t it?!). A real beast of a player alongside Tettey.

[/quote]

The two CM and back four are and play as a unit and the spine continues up through Hooly and Holt. Wide players can be changed and we are stronger without Howson and Surman. How different it would have been if Surman had buried a few of his chances.

I prefer the more conservative approach and the team is starting to resemble a proper well established Prem side.

GL