Sign in to follow this  
dpit

That old chestnut...perspective

We got tonked by Fulham. Well and truly tonked. To be honest, they are becoming a bogey team away from home. We were overrun for long periods in the game last season and I dont need to go into the Craven Cottage game prior to that.

However....freak results are common at the start of the season. Let''s wait until we are 3 or 4 games in before ringing the alarm bells. And then, if we need to let''s start ringing them, gently at first and hopefully without being patronised as Binners and fainthearts by a cerain poster and his ilk. On the other hand, if we turn things around, let''s hand it to sthe lads and Chris.

Seems stupidly obvious but blind optimism or doomy pessimism seem to be the default settings of the majority on this board.

I think you''re right. Seeing your team get destroyed 5-0 is not easy to take, but it''s a marathon, not a sprint.

A similar time last season I remember seeing Manchester United beat Arsenal 8-2. The same Manchester United then lost 6-1 to Manchester City that same season. Teams have these days even when a manager has been there for years upon years.

I''ll allow myself to be more concerned when the team has had another stab at it. Pick yourself up and dust yourself off boys. There''s a long way to go yet.

This is a valid point. But i don''t think the result is what concerns everyone. It was the manner in which we just didn''t turn up. No one performed. It was the worst performance in years and, after all the hype of CH being the man for the job, it was a major let down

Like the guy above, who refers to the Arsenal and Manchester United thrashings, are you saying we didn''t turn up, no-one performed etc but in the 8-2 and 6-1 games, it wasn''t the case? I''m sure their fans were the same that day, but not many would have called for Fergie''s or Wengers head.

Yeah you can look at their past and say they are experienced and you can rely on them, but Hughton''s past certainly isn''t bad.

However with the other "one-off" results you have pointed out, at least both managers of the defeated teams had been in post for many years and had already won something.  Yesterday was the first competitive match of a new manager - usually players run their socks off to prove to the new manager they are worth keeping on the payroll.  I didn''t see a whiff of anyone playing for their place yesterday - almost as if the players were engineering an exit for the manager already.  I really hope I''m wrong and perspective proves otherwise, but still in shock and fearing the worst.  And that''s after sleeping on it and watching my son''s team play this morning to take my mind off of yesterdays'' performance.  Having discussed it with all the Wendy and Blunt''s supporting fans who were there this morning, they though seem to have the same fear for us I do.  I really do hope McNally somehow revises Hughton''s approach....

They scored more goals than we had proper chances. The Urinals were pretty even in the first half against City and they had there fair share of chances. Even after the Man City game there were people on 606 saying Fergie had got the whole season wrong and it was time to go. I think we should be allowed to vent. I don''t think Hughton should go but I don''t think he was a great appointment